1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1983 carburetor issue

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by river bringhurst, Oct 25, 2022.

1. river bringhurst

river bringhurst New Member

So I have a 1983 xj650 Maxim and it’s been sitting for two years so I cleaned them and got the butterfly valves moving with the throttle because the throttle was locked up but now those 2 things move but the throttle slides don’t move at all

2nd I tried jumping it with a car to see if all the electronics works but it did nothing however I noticed 2 fuses were blown ( the very left fuse and the very right fuse) would that be why it doesn’t do anything when I jump it, and I’m not sure which side is the positive and negative on the bike

2. river bringhurst

Okay so I changed the fuses but still nothing happens

3. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Do you mean they don't move with the butterfly valves or you can't move them up and down? They move up by changes in pressure not with the cable. If you can't move them up with a finger then you are pulling carbs to diagnose and rebuild. I'm guessing if the throttle plates were locked up you're gonna have more issues with the carbs.

There is a lot of safety switches on the bike for the starter and ignition. Do you get a tail light and neutral light (must be in neutral) when key is on? Should see the oil light light up when you press start.

4. river bringhurst

okay i got everything but the electronics i have no idea whats going on with them, it looks like everything is intact it just does nothing when i turn the key

5. cds1984

cds1984 Active Member

Positive (red) goes to the starter solenoid and negative(black) goes to the frame/engine case.

If you turn on the key and get nothing at all, no dash lights, brake lights, indicators etc, then your ignition switch is the first point of query.

Use of a multimeter is ideal, check before the ignition switch and after the ignition switch.

You will need a wiring diagram to really get into it.

Give these a look.
    https://members.tripod.com/dave_jack/Temp/id39.htm

6. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Slides won’t move until the engine is running