1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ750 Midnight Maxim has lost all Electricity

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by RussianBiasGuy, Oct 20, 2022.

1. RussianBiasGuy

RussianBiasGuy Member

Hello, im back again my bike now runs at last as it was the carbs being completely blocked up with what looked like grease but anyway thats not the topic of todays issue.

Ive had it back for a couple days from the mechanics place and to be fair i wanted to take a picture of it at night so i had it out quite late and just turned the ignition on and was about to get a photo of it and it just cut out no electricity flow what so, i charged the battery and put it back in the bike and theres no response at all. All the fuses look fine but ive never had an issue with the electric before on this bike.

The mechanic did mention when they started it the ignition fell out of place but that hasnt happened with me on this occasion, does anyone know what could of caused it or what direction to point me in of diagnosing this issue?

Cheers.

2. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Are lights coming on on the instrument panel? Put the bike in neutral and press the starter button and hold it. Then turn the ignition switch on and off a few times to see if it fires up.

3. RussianBiasGuy

RussianBiasGuy Member

Sorry for the late reply but I'm getting no electric what so ever to anything, no system responds nothing lights up, start button wont work nor the horn.

4. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Trouble-shoot your key switch. Is power getting to it? Then is it getting through it?

What is the voltage of your battery?

-check grounds
    -check main connections in the headlight bucket
    -replace main fuse even if it looks good

-pull relays to bypass them

There’s some things to check first.....

5. RussianBiasGuy

RussianBiasGuy Member

Ive yet to check most things to be fair as im quite busy but here are some photos of my shoddy fuses, all of them look fine i got 3 x 10 amp and 1 x 20 amp im guessing as i cant find any other fuses that the 20 amp is the main one. If so i shall replace it even though they all look good.

I will try your suggestions when im free again.
    20221028_183832.jpg 20221028_183913.jpg

6. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

Looks like someone replaced the fuse block with inline fuses. Not inherently bad, as long as it was done correctly. Should be simple enough to compare the wire colors against the schematic. Is this setup ever known to have worked? There's no point in replacing good fuses. Do you have a continuity tester/ohmmeter to ensure they are, in fact, good?

7. RussianBiasGuy

RussianBiasGuy Member

Ive had the bike about 3 months maybe 4 months now and ive never had an issue with the electrics its always worked really well apart from the indicators which arent even wired and some lights on the dashboard not working thats about all, every other electrical component functioned well and it did have the bike running multiple times. Myself no i dont have a continuity tester

8. RussianBiasGuy

RussianBiasGuy Member

Just an update on this issue, i just genuinely wiggled around the starter button and the bike came back to life and all the electric came back on. Thank you to all that suggested ways of diagnosing the issue and I shall keep this for the future when it comes to installing all the electrical circuits back into the bike after the frame is back from being painted.

Franz likes this.
  9. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

After you paint it, make sure you clean off, to bare metal, any place that will be a grounding point.....

10. RussianBiasGuy

RussianBiasGuy Member

Good point il remember that for when it comes to it, Cheers for that.