1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

I got screwed…

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Mxtlplck, Nov 29, 2022.

1. Mxtlplck

Mxtlplck New Member

Hey all. I have a 1982 Maxim 650, purchased non running a few months back for cheap. Carbs cleaned, oil changed, fired right up.

here’s my problem. When I bought it, I met the guy halfway about 2 hours from my home. I’m young, never had a running motorcycle before, and mistakes were made. I forgot to ask him to write a bill of sale until I got home with the bike. I know I know, ROOKIE mistake.

I had his Messenger for FB, and phone number. I shot him a text, he said I’ll write one and send it. Next day he said he got in an “accident” and couldn’t use his hands so couldn’t write a bill of sale. I said fine. It’s been 4 months, last massage was “I’ll get something written up soon” which was oct 1. He has ghosted me now, won’t answer texts or calls, or messenger messages.

I’m in KS, so I can get an antique title if I had a bill of sale. How the heck do I fix this shithole I’ve dug myself in. I wanted a motorcycle for 6 years before finally getting one. This guy has made me never want one again. I don’t know what to do.

Quick edit: got a VIN check, not stolen.

2. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Well this is going to sound weird but it might work. Find a good friend that you can TRUST and sell them the bike with a bill of sale for $1. Then have them sell you back the bike with a bill of sale for $1. That is a legal sale and transaction. It should fix the issue and the DMV is not going to do a history check on the bike if you have a legal bill of sale.

Getting a bonded title in your area might be different then here in Wisconsin. What is needed it to look up on your states division of motor vehicle and see what you need to do. You will need to do your due diligents and read up on how your state works.

Here in Wisconsin once we break the chain of ownership a bonded title is needed. That is a bit more paper work, and $100 for the bond for every $10k of value.

Hope that helps.

Good luck.

3. Mxtlplck

Mxtlplck New Member

I had a similar thought, I had no idea if it would work. At this point, I will probably try that. I figured they wouldn’t do a history check or anything but it’s worth a shot. Thank you very much. Luckily, the bike was only $400, and I could easily get that out of parting it out. Just didn’t want to, I’m already sorta attached lol

4. Bryce W

Bryce W Member

Do you have the title signed by him? When I went into the DMV here in VA, the lady didn't even ask for the bill of sale that I had. Maybe different where you are, or maybe her cutting corners.....

5. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

@Bryce W, you guys are lucky when it comes to bike. I think your state is one of the states that even lets me (from Wisconsin) send in to get my non title bike registration for $85. I think...

May people use this loop hole to get a registration for a motorcycle without a title. They then take the registration to their DMV in another state and try to get a title. That could work in other states, but not in mine for sure. Have to check with each states local DMV to see how one can get a title.

I do think the bill of sale is the way to go, as I think most states consider that legal transfer.

6. Roast644

Roast644 Well-Known Member

Look at the bright side. As you mentioned, you are young. Life's lessons trip us all up at times. $400 bucks to learn this one is relatively cheap. Hopefully you can get it papered, but if not, just chalk it up to paying for an education. Some people waste a lot more money to pay for less learning.

Another good one to remember, don't be shy to ask the seller for ID to confirm they are in fact the owner as written on the title! If the title is missing, offer to do the leg work/cost for a lost title application BY THEM, but it is MUCH easier for the owner to do this than a buyer...dependent on where you live, and I know it varies by state.

7. Andrew Nichols

Andrew Nichols Active Member

Use Jedi mind tricks on the counter person at the DMV....

8. Barnesto

Barnesto New Member

I did something similar, no title, just bill of sale, which really is a piece of paper downloaded off the net and printed, I did get the guys name, address and purchase amount, but if you don't have the guys or girls name, find someone you trust and use their name, address and such. I used Vermont to register my bike, you can do it all online, have done it twice. Did a 1982 Suzuki gs450ga that was a repo that a buddy sold me, but he died in the process, but filled out all the information from him and me and the Vin and they sent me registration and tag with sticker. Just did it again with my 1980 xj650 maxim and registration is coming now. Real easy, first bike cost me $78 second was $83. Vermont doesn't issue titles like Oklahoma. So right now I have Vermont plates on both. If II want to title it here in OK then I would take the registration with insurance to tag agent and do that. Really easy way to do it. Go to : Vermont Registration and tax and title or google it. Best way here in Oklahoma, probably would have taken me months and lots of money to get an OK registration.