1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Iridium Spark Plugs... why or why not?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by JustinOther1, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

My Toyota with a 2GR-FE engine (with iridium plugs) is coming up on its first factory recommend replacement at 120,000 miles.

it’s a bear to get at the rear cylinder bank, so it’s a good thing they don’t need replacement very often.

Another interesting fact is that a buddy has a similar vehicle with same 2GR-FE engine but a few years newer. Toyota changed the replacement interval to 60,000 miles. So maybe the extra-long replacement interval for iridium plugs didn’t go as well as they hoped.

2. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

I have had exactly two times a plug failed in 36 years of working on bikes and cars . Once in my 2011 chevy hhr one platinum plug tip melted off , and one time on my seca still not what happened plug looked okay . When I put an ohm meter it was no good .

Roast644 likes this.
  3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Plugs do fail under compression. It’s not very common, but it prefer to replace an inexpensive plug with another inexpensive plug than to spend money on a fancy plug that could fail in the exact same way that an inexpensive plug does.