1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Throttle Cable Help!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by DarbyC, Mar 16, 2023.

1. DarbyC

DarbyC New Member

My XJ550 came with an empty housing for the start kill switch. I ordered a new one and have installed it successfully.

My old throttle cable that was installed in the gutted housing had threads on both the carburetor end and the end that fits into the housing. However the new housing is not threaded, just has the screw with the little holder piece that fits over the cable housing tube.

I tried using the correct part number listed on every site for sale, but the non threaded end just slips through the holder connected on top of the carb because it's designed for the threaded setup with the two nuts.

Any idea where I can find a cable that is threaded at the carb end only?? Or some other option?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2023
  2. jim mac

jim mac New Member

Check with XJ4Ever first, but failing that Motion Pro has a custom cable service. I have used them on occasion and they do a great job.

DarbyC likes this.
  3. XJ650inTexas

XJ650inTexas Active Member

Last edited: Mar 16, 2023
  4. DarbyC

DarbyC New Member

Hey much appreciated for the offer. Before seeing this I searched and found the same kit; it's already en route. Thank you though!

5. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I don't own a 550 but I recall from reading here that the throttle cable setup is a bit unorthodox utilizing a shorter cable in conjunction with the normal cable, and per the parts diagram it uses a non threaded cable on both ends

Carb end

upload_2023-3-18_8-43-34.png

This thread explains it - and yes Len at XJ4ever can fix you up either way

https://xjbikes.com/forums/threads/82-xj550-maxim-throttle-cable-installation.77564/

DarbyC likes this.
  6. DarbyC

DarbyC New Member

Yes my journey through the posts led me to that one as well. Looks like PO modified this thing with a cable setup from a different bike, threaded at both ends and with enough cable to just connect directly to the carb without that little cable. I'm sure the decision was based on the ridiculous cost of that little extender cable. I think I'll just give this DIY kit a shot and see how it goes. Thanks for sharing the information though!