1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

lost key

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by amw_yo, Apr 1, 2007.

1. amw_yo

amw_yo New Member

i feel pretty stupid even having to ask this question but has anyone else here ever lost a key and if so what are the options to getting a replacement? i have heard that the dealership can order lost keys for newer bikes but there is probably a snowball's chance that they can for an 86. any help you fellas could provide would be greatly appreciated.
    p.s. its an 86 XJ700S.
    thanks
    James (the moron who lost his only key)

2. samsr

samsr Member

I have never lost a key but my bike didn't come with one. I just took the ignition switch down to a lock smith and had him make one. Took about an hour and now I have two keys. Cost about $14.00 and 4 extra for the second.

3. faighaigh

faighaigh Member

Had my bike returned to me from a bikeshop a few days ago where they had lost the only original key. They have come up with a replacement which works everything ok. If you do a search on here you will find some good advise on what to do.

Faighaigh.

4. Fraps

Fraps Member

I broke my key once. I took the ignition apart and took all the tumblers out. Then I just used an Yama key I had lying around. I could have used a screwdriver but at least with a key - it looks like it is required!

5. Robert

Robert Active Member

James, take a look at the bottom of your lock switch. If I'm not mistaken, you should find a/the number there. Jot this down and get in touch with a Yamaha dealer (independents are not to up on cutting stock keys but you can try them too) and they should be able to cut you a fresh key from the numbers alone. They might require you to have the lock on hand when they do it or proof of ownership (CYA, you never know who is trying to get a hot bike new keys). If they can handle our older 80 models, odds are very good you can get what you need. Last code key I had cut was for my 86 Mazda P/U and it ran me $38 USD.
    Worst case, any competient locksmith can take your existing lock and cut you a new key, but it isn't as easy as the dealer poping out the key.

6. yamyboy

yamyboy Member

I'v gon to my local bike shop with the cylinder and needed my registration to show i wasn't stealing a bike and thay cut a key in 2 minutes. thi cylinder had 2 10mm bolts at the bottom and a plug in behind the head light.

7. Maxim700

Maxim700 Member

There is good advice here. The number you are looking for is inside the metal ring that is the support portion of your ignition switch. I believe that it is 5 digits. Take the switch with you and you wont have to worry but be sure to bring it all. I took too much apart and had to call home to get the number.

Note that with these older bikes sometimes the order is reversed. My dealer cut 2 keys before it worked.

Total cost $14 for 2 keys.

8. amw_yo

amw_yo New Member

thanks for all of the, i got the tumbler off this afternoon and am off to the locksmith tomorrow!

9. coaxial

coaxial New Member

I lost my key on my 83 xj650j maxim. Luckily the previous owner wrote down the key # on the manual.

I went to the larger yamaha dealer in town and they said they could order it and it would arrive within 2 weeks, as they did not cut keys in house anymore, said most places won't cut them anymore, but to try a smaller yamaha dealer.

Went by there and they made the key on the spot, as they still cut most keys there. Using the key# they put the correct plate(s) in this punch device and using the correct blank punched out a new key.

$24

10. nsosh5

nsosh5 Member

I had had the same problem on my bike. I took my ignition to a lock shop to have a key made. It worked fine until I went to fill up with gas and the key wouldn't work. So I took my key and the gas take to have them fix it. They did and it works perfectly. Oh yeah make sure to bring your title they asked me for mine. Good luck

11. Timetonut

Timetonut Member

If we have the key and key # that is on it, is there a place we can order duplicate Yamaha keys from? I only have the one and would rather not test my luck for too much longer.

EDIT---

After getting a little less lazy I searched our forum and found Chacal's info and found it really helpful. Unfortunately, I am feeling really lazy and don't want to have just the cheapy metal ones like I had in the past, and don't want to order the $8.00 key and then have to find someone who can cut them. Life is such torture. :p

12. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

Not sure what you mean by "cheapy metal ones". They're all metal. Or do you mean you want the plastic head on the key? AFAIK the blanks with the plastic heads are unobtanium.

You can order a key from these guys with the key number http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=2247.html

13. texxgadget

texxgadget New Member

If you have key # (knockout), a locksmith who is familiar with motorcycles
    can make you one or you can try to order one from the bike mfg depending
    how old.

After the factory stops carrying the key, the locksmith should still be able to cut you one if they have the key#.

Without the key#, they will have to impression the lock or pick & dismantle it.
    This is the more expensive route.

Good luck!