1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

opinions on neons (cold cathods) and location to put them?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by turbobike, Feb 29, 2008.

1. turbobike

turbobike Member

1 12" UV
    1 3 led
    1 blue/white casefan cover
    1 blue/white 12"
    [​IMG]

where should they go on

[​IMG]

and if you don't think they should go on, chime in too.

2. Ass.Fault

Ass.Fault Active Member

Well first off watch you power consumption. Someone will chime in soon on what amount you will have to spare if your bike is in shape.

Another tip, dont do any of the "bolt on" until you are sure you have it where you want it(sure you already knew that)

Depending on how much light each one puts out and also the shadowing of each, well.....depending on your bike's dimentions(which I dont know)

One under the tank, mounted to the frame.
    One mounted over the rear wheel.
    One between the non existant headlight and forks(aimed either at the front wheel and fender, or towards the down tubes(better for legality))

I am outta ideas after that. Best bet is to find some places to mount and ziptie it up. Turn the on in a low lit area and adjust accordingly.

My .02

3. yamyboy

yamyboy Member

Im not a fan of the lights. Those lights of the conputer will the power of the bike over power the lights and bolw something ont the lights or the bike.

4. turbobike

turbobike Member

the bike does have a head light, just not in that pic... lol.

5. Pacocase

Pacocase Member

Re: opinions on neons (cold cathods) and location to put the

If you want colored accent lighting, I'd go with led's over the computer lights. As was already pointed out, power consumption would be a concern with fluorescent lights. Colored led strips are available out there very cheap, and they will throw just as much if not more light than the computer lights and only consume about 1/10 the power. Not to mention that the computer lights use 5v power and you'd have to hide a 12v to 5v regulator somewhere. The led's just tap in to existing wiring.

6. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

Yup, I'd go with the LEDs. You can leave them on while it's parked and they won't run the battery down. One of the guys I ride with leaves his on when we go into a resteraunt and they don't drain the battery like regular lights do.

7. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

I think that rain and washing might be a problem for the computer lights.

8. turbobike

turbobike Member

the computer lights, as they are being called

are 12volt.

they also aren't just the lights, they have protective tubes, and are water tight.

voltage usage, two inverters at less than an amp each.. 2 amps isn't that much draw on the system.

9. wfuglaar

wfuglaar Member

OK, I'm confused...(that's not unusual for me.) Why are they being called 'computer lights'?

I know neon lights have very different properties and power requirements than incandescent, halogen, or LED lights, but I don't understand why they would be referred to as computer lights.

Anyway, FWIW, the casefan light looks really cool. Maybe one on each side over the alternator covers? The soft glow of the neon would be very ethereal.

Bill

10. turbobike

turbobike Member

theses are "Cold Cathode Ray Tubes". Most commonly used in computer case '"modding". So, computer lights. Sometimes these CCT's are just the lights themselfs, all the way up to sturdy tube protection with mounting blocks on the end.

I have a bunch of these that didn't sell and they just sit there saying "USE ME". I've put them in a few cars for people. Never did a bike, and haven't really seen a bike lit up in person.

Just asking where it might look good, i'm going to end up hooking it up and putting them places, it gets dark in my garage with the lights out.

I do know the larger ring is going to go down around my gas filler, should light up under the fold up cover nicely. The smaller will be aroud the ignition.

11. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

I'd locate a pair on the bottom of the tank on both sides to shine down on the engine. Under the steering neck is a good spot to shine down at the front of the engine or the front wheel. Any place there's chrome is always a good idea to make it look better.

12. wfuglaar

wfuglaar Member

Gotcha!

I've seen one cruiser on the street at night with the neon. It had the longer tubes mounted low, parallel to the street. It was OK, but it seemed a little off to me. It was almost like the length of the light made the bike look 'slower'. But the glow reflecting off the asphalt did make the bike almost look like it was floating.

Please post some pics after you decide what you're gong to do and mount the lights.

Bill

13. johnnyb

johnnyb New Member

my vote:

gay

14. MACDBF

MACDBF Member

For me, I like the lights that are already on my bike, not a big fan of the extras. But to each his own, my buddy has about thirty all around his bike, and he likes them so....Make your bike your own!
    Good luck.
    Mac

15. stereomind

stereomind Active Member

heat might be an issue under the tank.

honestly, those kind of lights might look good on a chromed-out chopper, but not on a Seca :)

...especially the fan light.

16. TSizemore3

TSizemore3 Member

Is there even enough extra generating capacity to power these lights? As I understand from reading on this forum, Yamaha didn't provide much excess capacity on the electrical system.

My personal opinion: Too "tunerish." Generally cars and bikes with neons are all show and little go. At least it's that way around here. Unless you are going on the show circuit, if the lights won't make the bike go faster or handle better or ride more comfortably, why bother?

17. Ace_Frehley

Ace_Frehley Member

I went With Leds, I've got 4 under the tank mounted to the frame picking up the valve cover and engine, and one on each side tucked behind the crome accents of the airbox which really show off the carbs and the engine fins, plus the bulbs can't be seen unless you get on the ground underneath the bike