1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. apex

apex New Member

So I rescued a Seca 550 that rear-ended "something" really hard, but repairable. Today I cleaned out the nastiest oil from inside the starter, what a black mess. The starter did actually work after that, but won't spin the engine over fast enough to start. The brushes are way worn and the commutator needs the bars split. So, there's where I'm at! Tomorrow, there will be more.

81 Seca 550
    79 Yamaha DT125
    72 Yamaha DT2
    73 Honda XL175
    73 Honda CR125
    Good 'ol Honda Elite 80 scoot

2. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

I've been installing a Vetter Windjammer IV fairing. It's been stripped, sanded, repainted, bracket installed. Last night I added the fairing to the bracket, and reinstalled the headlight. Today, the airfilters go back in and so do the turnsignals. Wiring is going back in, too. I just finished doing the valve cover gasket. That's all.

dave

3. turbobike

turbobike Member

i de-turbofied my bike.

4. PSteele

PSteele Member

Temperatures hit -15C (14F) here after a run at +10C (50F) and now the holy-liftin'-dinah-freakin'-mother-of-all-that-lives-snow simply will not stop.

Started her up when it was warm outside and cleaned mirrors, under the seat, etc. Snow and cold winds ended the motivation to pull, clean and lube the starter. Spring is coming, right? Note to self - look for warm storage next winter.

5. sanchez

sanchez New Member

Gas leak from petcock is no fun thing to see. So today, I took it apart, cleaned it, replaced the seals, and put put the thing back together. Now if my engine bursts into flames, I know its not the petcock. ALRIGHT! :D

6. turbobike

turbobike Member

7. schmuckaholic

schmuckaholic Well-Known Member

*Finally* got my carbs remounted, along with the new airbox-to-carb boots (which happen to look a LOT different than the ones I pulled), plus a new inline fuel filter as a bonus. New air filter and choke cable are already installed. Tomorrow or Tuesday, I get to see if I put the carbs back together the right way.

8. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

If you didn't we'll be hearing about it ... huh?

I have great Faith that you did a wonderful job on those Carbs.

Now you have to tune them. I hope they were Bench Synced with a Business Card strip before you buttoned everything up!

You didn't forget that step ... right?

9. schmuckaholic

schmuckaholic Well-Known Member

Heh. ;)

It was the twist-tie wire from a bread bag, but no, I didn't forget. I'm more worried about whether the butterflies are aligned properly in the throats; Chacal seems to think that there should be no light whatsoever showing around the edges, and there was no way that was happening. The mounting holes for the screws didn't have that much play. Checking my spare set, even the ones I didn't remove had light showing. If nothing else, I've got loctite and anti-seize in all the right places.

We'll see what happens. If all goes as planned, in a couple of days I'll have another set to work on.

10. Alive

Alive Active Member

Today... Dropped it :(

11. Pacocase

Pacocase Member

I took mine on a good run thru its first tank of gas since the mufflers and jets. It has more pickup and is generally more fun. Gas mileage, thankfully, was about the same - somewhere around 45mpg.

12. stankinjankins

stankinjankins Member

Today I put on new brakes adjusted carbs put on 2 new blinky's and took it for a spin with no exhaust and bad tires didnt get over 15 mph Rick I know you worry about us still have the problem when I hit the enrichment valves it dies like i shot it in the head with a >44 maybe the floats are set to high found some gas leaking out of no. 3 so tomorrow i'll take them back off wash rinse and repeat.

13. turbobike

turbobike Member

ordered rebuild kit from gpopshop.com, and started port&polish on the exhaust housing and compressor housing.

14. MacMcMacmac

MacMcMacmac Member

You might enjoy reading up on a turbo rebuild at Mike Oberle's site.

Turbo Project

15. turbobike

turbobike Member

This one actually for the 6a? I've read a couple for t3's and such that have been posted here, as well as scanning google. I've rebuild mitsu 9b turbos (off 3000gt vr-4) a few times and will continue to do it in the future.

But I'll give that site a once-over, looks like there's some neat stuff on there, and the yellow seca. It's been suggested I paint mine yellow.

EDIT:
    that site didn't have anything useful on it. just some pictures, and he talks about how he upgraded the compressor wheel. after looking through it i've realized i've already been there. Thanks though.

16. stereomind

stereomind Active Member

got sync gauges and a colortune plug! yay!

17. RickCoMatic

I put the Float Bowl Drain Plugs in the 750
    Set the Petcock to Prime
    Put the bike on the Charger for a half-hour
    Fired that baby up
    Took it for a ride to the nearest Gas Station
    Put-in $4.00 worth of High Test
    Rode it around for about a half-hour
    Went home
    Pulled the Battery
    Topped-up the Battery with Distilled Water
    Put the Battery on Charge for 3 Hours
    Put the Battery back in the Bike after cleaning and shining the Battery Leads and Contacts.
    Fired it up; again and drove it in the garage and parked it.

I'm ready to roll!

18. TheBostik

TheBostik Member

Got ignition in the mail from chacal and installed it :D
    reinstalled seat, gas tank, chromes and rear fender :D
    started bike! :D
    realized there was a puddle of gas on the ground :oops:
    posted a stupid thread here before reading old threads where people had the same problem :roll:

made plans for tomorrow to fix my fuel tank petcock and do something about the stuck floats in the carbs (from reading a lot of threads here, I think I'll try seafoam first, and see if it doesn't clear it up. The PO said they were re-done last summer so I think that option might work here). :wink:

19. RickCoMatic

I think there has been shown that there is really only one true FIX for a leaking Petcock.

The aftermarket Repair Kits don't really cut it. They leak.

All the fooling around you have to do to get a kit to work is time that would be best used doing something else other than monkeying around with a Petcock that DID ITS JOB, faithfully for:

20 -to- 25 Years !!!

Therefore, my best recommendation to anyone who is having a Petcock Problem is this:

"Go buy yourself a Brand New Petcock"

Do the math and see how cheap it is to have a NEW Petcock; when you figure it's going to last you at least as long as the one you have now.

No Kits.
    No fooling around with O-rings and springs.
    Good-to-go right out of the box.

20. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Or, you can send me your poor, your tired, your weak puddling mass of a petcock and I can have it rebuilt for you, and will guarantee it won't leak. Or you can buy an already rebuilt petcock. Or a new petcock (but note: they don't look at all like the original petcocks on most 550/650/750 models) or an on-off fuel valve.

So you have lots of choices. Including those pesky rebuild kits for the do-it-your-selfers:

http://www.xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic ... t=195.html