1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Stucked saddle

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by MetaHakan, Jul 26, 2024.

1. MetaHakan

MetaHakan New Member

The saddle on my old Yamaha XJ900 is stuck. I can pull or pry as much as I want, but it sits like a rock. Does anyone know what could be wrong, or better yet a trick to get it off?

2. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Are the levers at each side of the seat seized? Don't force it.

3. MetaHakan

MetaHakan New Member

Thank you for the reply! The lever on the right side (with the lock) is solid and the lever on the left side seems to work as it should, but not enough to release the left part of the saddle. I'm thinking about drilling out the lock, but as far as I know, the locking mechanisms are not connected. In that case, the left side will still be stuck. I also tried to drench both locks in CRC 5-56, but no success so far.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2024
  4. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Try pushing down on the saddle above the non locking side then move the release lever. I would get a spray can one with a plastic attachment like they have on WD40 and spray it into the lock slot. If all else fails you may have to drill it out and look for a replacement. You are right the lock is not connected to the other side.

5. MetaHakan

MetaHakan New Member

The problem is sort of solved! Aggressive use of a drill allowed me to lift the saddle. There was some kind of mechanical failure in the locking mechanism on the right side. I don't know why it didn't work properly on the left side, but the "pin" on the saddle was bent, I suspect that was the fault. I found a locking mechanism on a motorbike junkyard, soon the old lady will be rideable again. Thanks for the help!

Franz likes this.