1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Any Ideas??

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Littleberg, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Littleberg

Littleberg New Member

Hello~First off, thanks for all the quick responses and help I've gotten in the past. This is the first place that I go when I have a question about my bike. That being said, the problem:
    I've got a 82 550 with around 10,000 miles. In the summer, it runs great and starts fine. However, when it's cold outside, it just doesn't want to pop. As soon as I spray some starting fluid in the intake, it fires right up. I just replaced the petcock (the 28 dollar solution which worked out great) and the spark plugs. The battery is fully charged. If I shut it off after it has been started, it'll fire right back up.
    It seems like something is just missing. Would this be a case where I need a new ignition coil? One that will spark hotter? Any Ideas???? Thanks

Andy

2. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

When it's cold the fuel doesn't atomize well, so the mixture ends up lean.

Enrichment circuit provides extra fuel to offset the poor atomization until things heat up.

Look to your enrichment circuit. Easiest thing is making sure the "Choke" cable is hooked up and adjusted properly. If so, you need to tear into the carbs.

3. Littleberg

Littleberg New Member

Yeah, I know that the choke is working properly. Where is the enrichment circuit located? At the end of the choke cable in the carb? I had a carb job done last summer, so I hope that wouldn't be the option.

4. Alive

Alive Active Member

The enrichment circuit is the choke :)

The carbs have a very small chamber with a tiny hole in it in the bottom of the float bowls... If this is not cleaned out properly the enrichment circuit does not work properly.

5. Littleberg

Littleberg New Member

Any other quick easy non-disassemble bike things to check out first?

6. Alive

Alive Active Member

You considered using some Seafoam?

7. Gamuru

Gamuru Guest

I'll second (or maybe it's third) the enrichment circuit.

8. Littleberg

Littleberg New Member

No, I haven't tried seafoam. Should I just throw some in my gas tank?

9. 07spacker

07spacker Member

eh its really not that hard to tear into the carbs... i'd follow ricks guide and you'll be fine. its a good thing to learn for the future anyways, you'll be glad you did!

10. baz666

baz666 Member

try the seafoam first if you're worried about taking the carbs apart. Just read the instructions for the right amount and put some in your gas tank. See if that works.
    As for the float bowls, you can actually take them off while the carbs remain on the bike if you're very agile and careful. But first attach a clear plastic hose to the little nozzle on the bottom of each float bowl, open the drain screw and drain out the gas from each bowl. Then take the bowl off and make sure all openings are clean. Use spray carb cleaner.
    But to do a really thorough job, take the carbs right off the bike. Not individually - but as a complete unit of 4 carbs. It's not that tough. Even I've done it! :wink: Just get the XJCD or the Haynes manual or search this site for instructions.