1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Thinking about buying my first XJ! (83 Seca 750)

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by ourygrip, Oct 15, 2024.

1. ourygrip

ourygrip New Member

Hi, new here. I've been lurking the past few days reading up about the Seca 750. I'm currently planning on picking up an 83 model this weekend about 6 hours from me! I currently have a 2000 Bandit 1200 that's an awesome bike, but ultimately its not the right bike for me. Uncomfortable, all my weight rests on my palms and too much bike for city commuting. I have had a few other bikes in my past, started with an 84 450 Nighthawk, a 650 Radian, then a 2017 Yamaha FJ09 (my favorite and most comfortable) that I was in an accident with in 2020. Went on a hiatus until this year when I purchased the Bandit.

I was wondering if there's any wise words you guys could give me about the Seca. The bike is owned by an older retired guy and looks to be immaculate. Talked to him, seems honest and cool, and the bike is loaded with all the fairings. He's getting rid of it because he says he's a bit too tall for it at 6'2 and has a newer cruiser. I'm very excited! Like I said, if there's any advise you can give me or anything like that, let me know. Thanks!

2. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

Welcome! These are great bikes, when maintained. Since you've purchased used bikes before, don't assume everything is good till you've checked yourself and don't overpay. I know that's super generic advice, sorry. I'm not sure about the 750 specifically, but check brake lines and tires... they have date codes and unless they were recently replaced, you probably need to do it. Carbs are a frequent source of running issues, so there is a high chance you'll be doing a re-build. This site has tons of how-to articles. If you've been looking around, you may have found this: https://www.xjbikes.com/forums/forums/xj4ever-supporting-vendor.23/ You can spend a lot of time there. Church of Clean is a great dive into the carbs.

3. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. Boy I do love the XJ bikes, but I have owned (1200) and currently own a Bandit 1250s and not a XJ for a riding bike. Have you ever thought of putting risers on the Bandit? I still want you to get the XJ but just saying, night and day when it comes to power and maybe even handling, braking for sure. My riding style used power to get out of sticky of emergency situations sometimes. That is just me and why I have high torque and HP rides.

Make sure the head bearing on the XJ are in good shape, turn the bars side to side. Front brake MC is an interesting engineering feat, make sure that is also in good shape. See if the bike still has the older style bus fuses, if not you will want to change them out. Of the XJ, the Seca is my favorite riding position.

I hope it works out for you, they are great bikes. Finding one in good shape with all the bags is wonderful. We need to see pics when you get it her home.

4. ourygrip

ourygrip New Member

Thanks yo! Yeah the bandit I have already has risers, still just awkward position for me, im about 5'10 at 240lbs, so idk if that plays into it? Anyway, cool, I'll check over the head bearing and brake. I'll also probably get new shocks and put in a gel layer in the seat, looks like a fun easy project. The Seca has 5k miles on it, guy is asking $2700, he had the tank repainted by a body shop, and said he wouldn't hesitate to ride it to California and back! (I'm on east coast) I'm going to try and talk him down, I can sell my Bandit for that much anyway so I'm looking at it as a trade, which I was originally trying to trade for it anyway.

You mean just buy a new old style fuse box or update the fuses to those plastic ones that cars have? I read the original fuse box falls apart so I already have a replacement old style one in my ebay cart. And yes, I'll totally take pics and post em when I get the bike!

5. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

New fuse box with blade type. Might just as well go with something that you can find at any gas station and auto store. I am sure you will love the bike. Make sure you keep riding it as much as possible, as cleaning them carbs is really something else. So if she is running good, keep her running good.

6. ourygrip

ourygrip New Member

I got er.

$2500.

After I got home, learned the backlights for the speedometer and tac don't work. And high beam is out. No blown fuses (has updated fuse block)

Attached Files:

Timbox and minimuttly like this.
  7. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Very nice looking bike. Need more pics of all sides when you get the chance.

Sounds like a wire came loose or a ground, maybe even a flow fuse. Look it over and remember when in drought, take a pic, do some research and don't throw money at a trouble. Isolate the trouble before you throw more money at it.

8. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

The backlights, license plate light, and tail lights are powered by a separate ignition switch circuit through a blue wire that runs through a 5 amp fuse - the fuse is inside the headlight bucket.

Y0u can just look to see if the tail and license illuminate when the key is switched to on to verify ignition switch and 5 amp fuse is working. You can also switch the key to the "P" position and the backlights, license, and tail should illuminate.

If the high beam is out you should be getting a warning light - red light flashes and HEAD displayed on the CMS monitor when the bike is running

Last edited: Oct 21, 2024 at 9:22 PM
    chacal likes this.
  9. ourygrip

ourygrip New Member

Here's some more pic! Just finished a first detail. IMG_20241021_181321240.jpg IMG_20241021_181307660_HDR.jpg IMG_20241021_181242946.jpg IMG_20241021_181242946.jpg IMG_20241021_181307660_HDR.jpg IMG_20241021_181321240.jpg IMG_20241021_181353575_HDR.jpg IMG_20241021_181353575_HDR.jpg

Attached Files:

Fuller56, Brhatweed and Rooster53 like this.
  10. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Nice bike

11. Brhatweed

Brhatweed Active Member

Dude straight up that is one nice SECA. I see it's also super low miles. Wish mine was that clean! Nice score!

12. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    Very Nice! Good Score. Much nicer and cleaner than the one I rehabbed and traded for a Turbo Seca. It was, however the most difficult bike I have had to get up on the center stand!
    Good luck with it and Enjoy!!

13. ourygrip

ourygrip New Member

Man this thing is weird! Didn't realize it was totally built different on the front for the front fairing.
    I bet this is where my gauge light issue is coming from. The wiring harness from the bike to the fairing looks to have damaged pins. Also lol at this brake reservoir design and placement. I'm going to bug the hell out of a few of you guys with questions I'm sure! (Sorry if the picture format looks weird, I'm on my phone)

IMG_20241021_223208776.jpg IMG_20241021_223117333_HDR.jpg

IMG_20241021_222435633_HDR.jpg IMG_20241021_223139937.jpg IMG_20241021_222435633_HDR.jpg IMG_20241021_223139937.jpg IMG_20241021_223151162.jpg

14. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Very nice. The shadows on the gas tank make it look like it's taken a beating, but it appears to be very nice in other pictures.

Yeah, those pins need to be re-set in their cavities (if possible).

Timbox likes this.
  15. ourygrip

ourygrip New Member

This headlight adjustment setup in the fairing is also weird! (And seemingly installed incorrectly) IMG_20241021_230828623_HDR.jpg IMG_20241021_230707276_HDR.jpg IMG_20241021_230558307.jpg

16. ourygrip

ourygrip New Member

Ha, yes it does look like that. But not one dent in the thing! Previous owner had it repainted at a body shop. Looks good in pics, but up close it's a pretty crappy job. Infact, the guy was so displeased with the job they did he said he couldn't even go back and look at them he was so pissed lol
    Weird clear coat bubbles. But it's fine for me. IMG_20241021_231800958_HDR.jpg IMG_20241021_231813375.jpg

17. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

The headlight adjuster looks correct, actually. That big black KNOB at the base of the windscreen (on the "inside" of the screen, towards the driver) adjusts (pulls or pushes) on the yellowish-white plastic rectangular headlight frame, and makes it pivot up-or-down around the side "pivot bolts".

18. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

You really got a nice bike. Hope it bring you many yrs and miles of happy safe riding.