1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

turn signal self cancelling mod.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by bensalf, May 4, 2020.

1. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Yes it is hidden, and it is a 6.8V zener

Yea, that shouldn't be there, it is one of the tachometers I was working on that must have gotten merged into that file when I created the PDF

I think that location is pretty common throughout the early XJ series, and with properly rated components it should be OK. Plus most of the time the bikes are moving, which sends lots of cool air over the electronics under the tank.

Did both of your units exhibit the same failure symptoms?

2. Steve1958

Steve1958 New Member

OK thanks for the clarifications. The failure symptoms for my original one were that it has gradually become more and more unreliable at canceling the turn signal, only canceling it occasionally now. So I bought a used one but that doesn't cancel at all! (Leading to my theory that they all fail)
    I am considering getting a 'New old stock' one but they are £75 (ouch!!) This might clear up the problem once and for all. If it fixes the issue, great, if not then I know the problem is somewhere else in the switch/wiring and I can sell the unit on. However I have checked this side of things pretty rigorously already.
    Anyway thanks so much for your help and I will let you know how I get on in due course. Regards, Steve Plant

3. kevb1uk

kevb1uk New Member

I'm also having problems with indicators. They were working fine until I left the bike alone for a few weeks, now they won't work at all and I can't find out why. Am I right in saying that the reed switch could be responsible? If so, how are they tested? Is it possible to repair?

4. Rooster53

Do you mean the self cancelling function is not working, or the flashers are not working in the left or right position?

5. kevb1uk

kevb1uk New Member

The whole of the indicator function is not working. The obvious things like fuses are fine. Does the reed switch have the ability to do this?

6. Rooster53

No, the reed switch it is only used to count wheel rotations for the self cancelling unit.

Do any of the flasher illuminate? Is the bike running? Is it connected to a charger?

The self cancelling unit can disable the flashers and in this case they are not illuminated. Unplugging the self cancelling unit rules this out.

Wires can break on the control switch causing no illumination of the flashers on one or both sides, but in this case if one side illuminates it should flash if all else is well.

Insufficient load can cause no flashing, but they will be illuminated - this can be caused by low voltage, dirty sockets, or incorrect wattage bulbs installed.

The flasher relay normally closed contact can open, and in this case none of the flasher illuminate

7. kevb1uk

kevb1uk New Member

Thanks for the reply. The indicators were working fine until I left the bike for a few weeks in the garage. when I returned, nothing! With the ignition on but engine stationary the whole indicator system is totally inactive. From what you say it seems that the relay could be the issue. Is it possible to test it? It's 5 pin. Cheers.

8. Rooster53

What bike year and model, a 5 pin would likely be aftermarket if it is an XJ series?

9. kevb1uk

kevb1uk New Member

It's marked Denso FB257H. 5 pin 6mm flat spade conns. Bike is XJ600 1989. I'll send some pics when I figure out how.