1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

First real post

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by charger8609, Mar 12, 2008.

1. charger8609

charger8609 New Member

Hi guys just wanted to introduce myself. I am just getting into bikes. It was originally my husbands hobby, but I started getting into it more and decided I wanted to get my endorsement as well.

We just bought me an inexpensive project bike, my 82 XJ550 Maxim. It needs some work, which means I also need some parts (I posted up on the Sell, Trade, Swap, Wanted forum).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! ~Stephanie

2. Gamuru

Gamuru Guest

Welcome to the site! Mind if I ask where in Washington you're located?

3. charger8609

charger8609 New Member

Oak Harbor (Whidbey Island). Not the best riding weather during the fall, winter, or spring lol.

4. Ass.Fault

Ass.Fault Active Member

Welcome to xjbikes, maybe we can get you to post some pics of your "project bike."

What are your tenative plans for this machine?

5. charger8609

charger8609 New Member

Plans for my bike include getting it running, lol. Then getting it back to stock or similar condition. I am looking forward to riding quite a bit this summer, but will be putting the bike in storage as my husband is being transfered to Japan for three years.

Any tips on getting dents out of the gas tank?

There is one picture of the bike on my profile.

6. xj750guy

xj750guy Member

Congratulations on joining the land of people who enjoy the journey more than the destination! I am still working on figuring out a way to get my wife to understand how much more fun life is on two wheels. Any Suggestions?

I've even tried offering her a brand new Suzuki Burgman. That thing is like a Cadillac with 2 wheels and an automatic to boot, but she wouldn't bite.

The good part is that she has offered to drive, many times by herself, so I can ride more.

Best wishes with the new bike, you've come to the right place to learn just about anything you could ever want to know.

7. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

Boy, I'd like some tips on getting the wife on 2 wheels too.

Seems every time she gets close someone will pop up bragging about their horrific crash and how long they were in the hospital - complete with detailed pictures. And then the next guy will have to try and top that story :cry:

8. blueseca

blueseca Member

my lady wont even let me talk about bikes. i wish she would ride with me or get a bike too. i dont think it will happen. but she lets me go to the Dragon now and then so i dont mind. www.bikebandit.com has the best prices on parts for these bikes.

9. charger8609

charger8609 New Member

Don't know if I have any suggestions on getting your wife on her own bike - I just am a bit of a speed demon, like dangerous things and horseback riding, and frankly, bikes are more realistic than a horse right now lol. I also tend to have some control issues from time to time.

As far as dealing with horror stories, just remind her that the Rider is what makes the ride safe. There are plenty of people who eat it on their bikes, but manage to walk away. The expensive part is fixing the bike! Best of luck with getting them up riding with you.

Thanks for the advice for parts - I haven't had any luck with the other posts yet, so I will have to look there too.

10. ptbiker

ptbiker New Member

Welcome neighbor,

I am down in Port Townsend. Send me a pm if your in town.

11. charger8609

charger8609 New Member

Hey Gamuru - How much would you be thinking of selling that Virago for? Its one of the bikes that I originally wanted, before we got my project bike. I wouldn't mind having a second cruiser! :D

12. Ass.Fault

Ass.Fault Active Member

Negative IMO. Bikes are cheap...
    Bones and tissue are expensive. If you disagree why dont you take a look at my medical invoices. 8O

...and pitch a few bucks in too.... :wink:

13. charger8609

charger8609 New Member

I was meaning that if the rider walks away, the expensive part is the bike, as there wouldn't be any medical bills.

Like I said, its the rider that makes the ride safe. Not trying to start anything, cuz I'm really not interested in starting any sort of drama. Everyone has the right to their own opinion, I was just sharing mine. And you shared yours, so lets leave it at that and everyone can walk away happy :)

14. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

Dent removal? I tried the toilet plunger and grease on a 4 " X 6 " shallow dent, no luck. I saw the YOUTUBE thing with dry ice, but didn't try it. I also heard that small, thumb size dents can be filled with epoxy, then pulled with a standard dent puller. Anybody else have a trick up their sleeve?

15. charger8609

charger8609 New Member

Hmmm.... I have heard of the dry ice thing as well - I haven't tried anything yet, don't want to spend money on something that doesn't work, you know? I would rather try something people have used and know that it will get the dents out. That or with the number of dents in my tank, I might be better off getting a new tank lol.