1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Stupid question on Parking

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by wolf1603, Apr 6, 2008.

1. wolf1603

wolf1603 New Member

I am still new to the whole cycle scene and I was wondering where and in what position do you park a cycle in different situations (parking lots, streets, parking structures, etc....). I know it is a foolish question but I have been trying to figure out where to. I get my first cycle mid week.

2. Ace_Frehley

Ace_Frehley Member

As a general rule, always park it in a conspicuous spot, where no one is likely to pull in and 'not see it.' Never park facing down hill (if possible) just in case you ever lost compression, your bike would tend to roll off the stand and fall. where as if you are facing up the hill you would be ok

3. Gamuru

Gamuru Guest

When in a parking lot, I like to park diaginally across the parking stall facing out. Also, I try to park where I'll be able to see the bike from inside.

4. Ltdave

Ltdave Member

as far east as you can get in michigan 43.027407,
    i try to park it next to the cart return thing or on the front end next to the lamp posts. i wont park it in between a couple of cars where it could be run into...

i like to put it on the center stand too. you can still turn-lock the front wheel but i dont have to worry about the sidestand sinking into gooey asphalt...

d

5. nimitz

nimitz Member

I follow a simple couple of rules:

1) Make the bike stable.

2) Make the bike seen.

When parallel parking I always kick the end out a bit so the tail light is just barely visible from the side of the car behind me.

When parking in parking spaces/lots I always park the bike at the _end_ of the spot rather than way up into it. Seeing as here in the Midwest we seem to have a lot of large SUV type vehicles the faster they can recognize my bike is between those two Hummers the better off I am.

People keep getting more careless though and I'm seriously considering putting a large tall flag with the word "MOTORCYCLE" off the tail of my bike. :-(

6. nimitz

nimitz Member

Oh yeah - centerstand almost always if I'm going to be more than 5 minutes.

I've already had to pick my bike up once this year (inside a moving truck) so i don't need to do that again.

7. XJ600S

XJ600S Member

I see bikes parking up next to buildings all the time, mainly at stores, so they don't have to park in a parking spot. Is this legal? Will you get ticketed?

What are the general guidelines on things like that, parking your bike where cars can't park?

8. nimitz

nimitz Member

Depends completely on the store owners in question. A lot of places will tolerate something like that if it's a 5 minute stop or something but in general you're likely to get a ticket.

9. Gamuru

Gamuru Guest

If you're on private property and the owner is cool with you parking on his sidewalk, there's no problem. Most cities won't let you drive or park on public sidewalks, though.

10. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

some places have little triangles at the end of the rows, with stripes painted on the pavement, those work well
    convince stores have cameras all over, try to park under one
    some guys use a metal plate on the ground to keep the sidestand from sinking in, a must for parking in the grass, keep it cheap you'll loose it

11. Ace_Frehley

Ace_Frehley Member

Go to your local autosupply store, buy something, and nicely ask the guy at the counter for some quart can lids, they are small and (usually free) and if you loose it no big deal

12. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

My wife has one of those can openers that cuts horizontally through the seam rather than vertically through the lid, leaving no sharp edges.

She makes perfect parking pucks just about every day. I only have to get them before the recycler does.

13. wrenchmaster

wrenchmaster New Member

I come out of the Kroger grocery store only to see a Mc Donough Ga cop
    writing a ticket for a bike parked in the white striped area at the end of the parking row , I ask him about the parking of motorcycles in these areas and he told me it was illegal for any motor vehicle to park their. It was a safety zone for pedestrians.
    wrenchmaster

14. Gamuru

Gamuru Guest

^^^ I'd ask him to cite the law and look it up to see if it applies to private parking lots or just public parking lots. As far as I've seen, the only place you cannot park in a private parking lot is in a marked fire zone for safety reason. This white zone may fall under the same rules, but I'd definitely check it out to make sure he's not applying the law to a situation where he has no jurisdiction.

But, you raise a good point about where you can and cannot park. I'll have to go check my local codes to see what they say as I park my bike on the sidewalk in front of the store where I work. It's out of the way, but I'd hate to catch the wrath of officer friendly on the day he's found out his wife has been banging the neighbor.

15. nimitz

nimitz Member

The way I've always understood it is if the owner gives them permission to ticket they can treat the lot as if it were standard public roads and able to have the full "Rules of the Road" applied. That information came to me from a friend who's a county cop.

16. Gamuru

Gamuru Guest

That's fine for the shop owner and the cop, but how is the motorist suppose to know whether public traffic laws will be enforced where they normally wouldn't be? And by what authority does the shop owner have the power to extend jurisdiction to the police? I don't see where he does. But, before we get too far down this path, and seeing as how I'm not a lawyer and I don't play one on television, I'll just leave it until I have a chance to do some research.

Interesting topic, though.

17. nimitz

nimitz Member

You raise exactly the points I did when I heard it and even my buddy "on the force" so to speak didn't have an answer.

18. chilidog

chilidog Member

there is a lot of good points here including bringing up that somewhere someplace you will run into a douchnozzle with a badge, curb parking or "curbing" is handled differently in different places, I curb even my Harley sometimes but the XJ is easier to curb and get closer to a wall. believe it or not in some places (Clearwater FL) you can not park two MC in one spot, yes that is retarded like velcro sneakers but true... when I park in spot I try to leave room for a bike to share but I deliberately take up enough room to try and avoid finding a car "sharing" my spot... you would think parking would be easy...

19. MaximumX

MaximumX Member

And the Emmy goes to... Chilidog!! For his brilliant use of both "douchnozzle" AND "retarded like velcro sneakers" in the SAME post! Unprecedented, Sir! :D

20. Ease

Ease Member

At work, I park it at the bicycle rack... At university, on the motorcycle parking lots (or a bike rack if there's no motorcycle parking at that building)...

I asked a meter maid once if I was allowed to park my bike on the sidewalk downtown and he said he wouldn't give me a ticket, that it was up to the owner of the storefront.

If you're lucky enough to live in TO, they don't give any parking tickets to bikes b/c of a few cases of tickets blowing away and people getting obscene fines... just don't park it in a tow away zone

(I wouldn't hesitate to park on the line DT between cars parallel parked... if you can stomach someone parallell parking that close to your bike).