1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

off set triple clamps for more rake?

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by BakoMack, Apr 2, 2008.

1. BakoMack

BakoMack Member

is there anyone out there that sells a set of off set triple clamps go give it more rake without cutting the heaqd tube?

2. earz_cd

earz_cd Member

there's a few companys that make them for harleys - but very doubtful for the xj's.

the kits for the harleys are $1300 - $3000 - it's all CNC billet.

3. BakoMack

BakoMack Member

well, looks like im cutting my head tube lol

4. Injuhneer

Injuhneer Member

Is this a cosmetic or peformance change?

5. BakoMack

BakoMack Member

mostly cosmetic and a performance down grade I think lol

6. Anthony14

Anthony14 Member

You can get much much cheaper raked triple tress off ebay for around 100+

7. BakoMack

BakoMack Member

any links plz?

8. johno8

johno8 Member

I hope that this is not taken the wrong way, but before you do anything to rake your front end, please read on as I have been down this road while customizing my Maxim-X. I spent considerable time researching the rake issue and if you do not do it right, your handling will become unstable or even dangerous. As modifying a motorcycle frame by cutting and welding is illegal up here, I had to look at the triple tree option. The big issue with just buying a raked triple tree is that your "Trail" will change dramatically in many cases. Trail on my bike is calculated at 4.3 inches and I wantd to keep that figure as close as possible. The only way to accomplish this was to buy an "engineered triple tree" which takes the specifications of your bike model and then engineers a triple tree designed to maintain the trail at what the bike manufacturer specifies. Unfortunately, the cost is high, but with my safety at risk, I felt that if I was to do this custom job right, I would have to accept any cost associated with staying alive to ride. I ordered an engineered triple tree from AME (Germany) through the US distributor. Since they had never built one for a Maxim, they needed a whole lot of more info. Now that I have the front end, they are offering the kits for our bikes without difficulty. I chose a 9 degree rake with a 4 inch over size in the fork tubes. The look is awesome!! On their website, you can choose various rakes and over lengths depending on the model. It has the German TUV engineering approval which is far more stringent than our DOT standards. Sorry this post is so long but I wanted to make my point that if you want to modify your rake angle, PLEASE do your research on the net before doing anything...it's your safety and that of your passengers that is important. Good luck with your build!

9. Anthony14

Anthony14 Member

No, they are come and go. Also, they are very hard to find to fit our 35mm forks, usually they are for bigger forks.

Best bet is to get one custom made.

10. Robert

Robert Active Member

johno8, no appologies are necessary! Your concern for the well being of your fellow bike enthusiest is a very welcome perspective. I don't know of anyone here who would complain about safety concerns. I'm very please you were able to find someone (pitty it wasn't domestic) who was willing and able to accomplish the design you had in mind. Thanks for the tip, be sure to post the link in our link section.

11. johno8

johno8 Member

12. BakoMack

BakoMack Member

well, my dad rides an older FXR and he cut the head tube and raked it him self, its been his daily driver for over 3 years now. since my motor is out he said it would be easy to do mine I was just hoping there was a solution other than cutting some more on the frame, but I am not gonna spend that much to get a little more rake, i'll just have him rake it a little more.

13. johno8

johno8 Member

As long as he makes the proper jig for your frame, it should be ok. I just didn't want you to buy a cheap raked triple tree and slap it on your bike. God luck and safe riding.

14. chilidog

chilidog Member

15. MaximumX

MaximumX Member

Wow!!

Johno... That is some CRAZY work you're doing on that X. When do you think you'll finish? I hope you'll post more pics of your progress.

16. johno8

johno8 Member

I'm hoping to be finished in about 3 weeks from now...it'll be the longest 3 weeks of my life I'm sure. I have taken lots of pictures, but only post the ones I think are interesting to others. I'm really pleased with how it's turning out but there's still a couple of mods left to go. I can't keep the original gauges on it so I'm looking for a 2.5" digital one to mount on the space between the risers. As well, I'm fabricating some forward controls for it this week. How's life in the Nation's Capital? I used to live off of Merivale Road back in 72-73.

17. MaximumX

MaximumX Member

Ottawa's still Ottawa. Big town, small minds. ;-) I actually live and work in the Merivale area, but I'm sure lots has changed in the 35yrs since you've been here.

When you get to the forward controls, make sure to document the process as there are many on here who are very interested in this mod. You might even consider running off a few extra sets to flog to members. It looks like you do some quality work so it shouldn't be hard to sell them.

18. cereal_killer

cereal_killer Member

RE: Forward controls... yeah, what he (MaximumX) said! Looking forward to the pics of the completed project!

19. johno8

johno8 Member

You guys must have me confused with someone who knows how to do stuff...I'm just a noobee who is stupid enough to tackle this bike. One of the local bike shops staff just shake their heads when I come in cuz I'm always on the lookout for stuff that might work for my custom. they've been real helpful and discount prices for me as well. Probably thinking that it'll never fly and feel sorry for me. Having said this, I am taking pictures of my forward control fiesta and will let ya know how things go. I just got the brackets back in rough form...time to see if they'll fit!!