1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

oppps i mean does anybody have a helmet for sale

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by stevetibb2000, Apr 15, 2008.

1. stevetibb2000

stevetibb2000 Member

ok ok ok ive just go on this awesome site and i know i have not posted any topics for anybody help to them

im a rider on a budjet they guy i bought the bike off of let me borrow one of his helmets and now he wants it back but i have had no money to buy a new ever since i bought the bike but does any one have a in good condition full face helmets preferd black or shiney black and a cheep cheep price please help me out

i am so much on a budjet that i live with my sis for free for the time being and waiting on two pay checks with 23.00$ in the bank eeeeek

2. Robert

Robert Active Member

Dude! You picked a rather expensive hobby with $23 in the bank. Used helmets are a crap-shoot. One just never can tell if the lid is still any good. A visual is a start but it cannot see the innards (they are very important). Have you considered indentured servitude? Just kidding! There has to be a way to get yourself protected without breaking the bank. What skill sets do you have? I've mown and raked lawns for scratch in a pinch. Gotta be some work somebody needs done. You might get lucky at garage sale this weekend. Not that I've seen a good helmet go cheap even there but there is always hope. There is another member in your neck of the woods, BakoMack. He is chopping his ride and seems to be doing a great job. From what I gather, he has been riding quite a while. You might want to get in touch with him. You can find his email on his profile. Good luck!

3. dwcopple

dwcopple Active Member

look at the recent HJC post...I have a black full face with mirrored shield for sale that I never used.

4. woot

woot Active Member

<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=44.777479+-
    If you don't have money for gear, I'm not sure you can afford NOT to wear gear. Also, please tell me that you have insurance/registration on the bike.

Just make sure you're safe - then worry about the bike. As for cheap helmets, try a local bike forum. There are a lot of riders who have 2nd or 3rd helmets that you could pick up for a coffee. The reason they're next to free is because they're going to be 5+ years old and scuffed. You don't trust a used helmet BUT if you REALLY want a helmet it is better than nothing.

I'd offer up a helmet but it's going to be more expensive to ship than it is worth, could easily get damaged in shipping, probably doesn't smell like roses, and is probably way too big for you.

5. donhoe

donhoe Member

I picked up a good full face helmet off denniskirk.com for $25
    they can sometimes have awsome deals in the clearance area.

for $25, I bought a new helmet for everyone in the family......
    I was just glad they had one for each of us.

6. stevetibb2000

stevetibb2000 Member

haha well part of getting the bike was registering the bike and getting my permet i have my military gortex boots from when i was in military 2 years ago and i have a leather jacket from an old sugar momma no sex was involved haha

but these are the things to make me legal

a helmet
    found out that i need my tail lights running the break litghts work but not the running ones
    the right hand mirror
    and insurance i was going to get it this week but i had to pay my truck payment

7. donhoe

donhoe Member

8. Ass.Fault

Ass.Fault Active Member

Just my argument for anyone Considering an Used Helmet 8)

*Copied from a previous post*

Just a "heads up", wearing others helmet is not a fantastic idea. :?
    Besides the obvious things like stench and sweat , helmets conform to their owners. The foam and liner begin to take shape and decrease the amount of cusioning to someone else "diffrent shaped cranium".

I know it is only a fractional decrease in protection, but then again I dont want MY CRANIUM DECREASED a fraction. 8O

They are really supposed to lose their usefulness after 36 months.

Even though an old beat up, dropped, kicked, drop kicked helmet is better that a ball cap or simmilar.

PS I have used others helmets before, even ones that should have never seen the light of day but for your own good I suggest, and only suggest, getting a new helmet.

9. MrShake

MrShake Member

It sounds more and more to me like your not financially ready to ride this bike. I'd put her in the garage and let it rest. Get a decent (new) helmet, get your insurance paid up and THEN start riding.

Mutercicle Riddin --- Ur Doin It wrung

10. chilidog

chilidog Member

dunno if they have the same inventory where you live but here in Tampa our Wal-mart is carrying MC helmets, they are Bell brand and I cant remember the price but its wal-mart.... true about cheap and or used helmets being less safe but a brand new bike would be safer too or for that matter a car, or just staying home!!! so find one, buy one, get one then use it, and be careful out there!!

11. stevetibb2000

stevetibb2000 Member

lol thanks guys for the input and your help i the reason why i bought this bike one is that i love bikes and two my boss was a cosigner on my truck and he took it away sooo eeek and now i have my truck back im stuck with a bike that i love i just need to have a start up as suck as riding equment the bike is in great condition and i have added things here and there but i just need three things and im done and now he wants the truck back again and i have the bike thats payed off and i dont have to worry about bills any more as far as payments now thats if i decide to give him the truck and ohh im only 20

12. Robert

Robert Active Member

We hear you Steve, a few of us have been down that "too-broke-to-get-it" road as well. Our main concern is you staying safe. How you get there is really of no consequence to us just so long as you get there in one piece. As much as it might smart a bit, it might be in your best interests to stick it out and ride a bicycle to work just a few days or weeks more 'till those anticipated checks hit and you have means to get things settled. Best of luck to you on your efforts, let us know if we can be of assistance.

13. Great_Buffalo

Great_Buffalo Member

I have found in practice as an ER nurse that there are two forms of broke: Broke and DEAD Broke.

I work the Sturgis Rally every year and find the full facers fair the best when body meets asphalt. Also there are more head injuries with poor fitting helmets then those that fit well.

My suggestion to anyone.... Go to a shop and try on helmets. If you put 5 on your head, there will be a best fit out of them. Most riders buy a lid way too loose for their head because they feel they are too snug. you want them snug but not tight. Everybodies craniums are shaped differently.

For every 16th of an inch of unsupported movement your head moves when the helmet hits the deck allows a significant increase in the force absorbed by your brain as it slams into the wall of your skull.

If you need to save cash by mail or internet ordering, Go to a shop and try on what you are thinking of buying before you make the purchase. But i bet you'll find that the few bucks you'd save would be better spent to keep your local shop afloat.

I think I'd walk before riding with no helmet.

Hey Steve, you might want to think about a second job. I worked for me for many years till I got out from under the man due to many :( medical bill that stem from a loooonnnnggg history of yes, you guessed it, head injuried. Head injuries last a life time and closed head injuries as you would get fomd a MC falls may as it has in my case get worse over time.

NO, mine did not come from motorcycles.

Nuff said. Ride Safe and maybe we can ride some time in the future.

Isn't DENNISKIRK's store over by you in Minnesota some where? I bet they would have some bargains there,, No?

The Buff

14. Supernaut

Supernaut Member

Damn dude you're really on a shoe strings budget. I've got some $1500 in the bank and I'm worried about moving to a new place and how I'm going to store my bike. I was down to $200 in the bank a few months ago and I thought THAT was broke. :p

15. dlanthripe

dlanthripe Member

I just got a helmet on clearance from leatherup.com for $40. I just wanted at least DOT protection to cover my head. I took measeurments of my head like they suggest and I love it. I have had it for a couple weeks and love the fit. My wife got the light weight style for the same price. We both think they are awesome. I have not had it long enough to know if it will hold up for a few years of if the liner will go to crap. But for $40 I can afford a new one down the road.

16. Great_Buffalo

Great_Buffalo Member

40 bucks aint bad get you started off safe.

Good for you.

The Buff

17. stevetibb2000

stevetibb2000 Member

well i got my check in the mail finely and ive got insurance now and a helmet too so im all good to go my insurance is 252 a year for full coverage lol got this its pritty cheep 3 speeding tickets 2 of them come off this year and 1 in two yars all over them were like 80 in a 70 zone uhg

18. Robert

Robert Active Member

Let's see some pictures!

19. stevetibb2000

stevetibb2000 Member

go to my gallery

20. Robert

Robert Active Member

Purty nice Steve, you gots a neat ride!