1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

carbs

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by pdm317, Apr 16, 2008.

1. pdm317

pdm317 New Member

I am not sure what to do. i have completly cleaned my carbs put them back on, it starts fine and runs fine but when i turn it off one or two of the carbs keep filling up and overflow out the back into the airfilter box and then out the overflow, should i now just buy a full rebuild kit or what, any feedback would be greatly appreciated, Thanks Paul

2. simona

simona Member

Most likely is the float needles are getting stuck or are still dirty. The trick i find is to take them out and do a light sanding on the 4 flanges sticking out of the side of the metal parts. Makre sure that the little rubber cones on the ends are in good shape. The best thing is to check the float levels on the carbs on the bench before you put them back on. Very easy to do with a clear tube. You can then also elimanate the problem you are having before putting the carbs back on the bike

3. pdm317

pdm317 New Member

all of the rubber cones are in good shape but i did have a problems with the slides sticking at first, so i just pulled them out cleaned them up sprayed a little lube with them and they started working fine, But i did not mess with the needles.

4. leadboots

leadboots Member

I just got all new seats and float valves and seals for 60 bucks off ebay.. My bike was overflowing too..Just waiting for them to get here hopefully this will fix my problem. Do you know if yours have ever been changed? wat year is your bike? If they havent been changed remember they have been in them carbs for a long time now. Do your floats move up and down with ease? If not is the pins holding the floats on dirty? Are you seats dirty?

5. pdm317

pdm317 New Member

i have no clue i just got the bike a month or so ago.It Is and 81 xj650. my floats were stuck but i have got them freed up and working smoothly now.

6. xyxj650

xyxj650 Member

If all what you have done doesn't fix your problem you should check your petcock you may need to rebuild it. From other post I have seen on here they say that will cause the same problems.

7. simona

simona Member

You may have turned your petcock tap on the gas tank over to the PRI setting which lets the fuel just flow right through. If you did have a sticky float as leadboots mentioned, or a float needle that doesnt seal properly then this would just exacerbate the problem. On RES or ON mode the petcock needs a vacuum to open and let fuel through, which it gets from a pipe going to one of the intake manifolds (3 usually). THe PRI position is usually when the tap arm is pointing to the back of the bike, RES pointing forward and ON is down, but you may not have a factory Tap so look carefully,

8. pdm317

pdm317 New Member

I wasn,t real sure what the Pri on the petcock was and i know i have had it on their, so i will switch to the on spot and go for that. i just have to put it all back together now. thanks for the help, this is my first street bike i always rode dirt so some stuff is alittle new to me, but it will all be worth it Thanks again Paul

9. leadboots

leadboots Member

If there was gas in ur airbox check your oil in ur engine prolly some gas in there aswell. Dont wanna be ridin around witht hat in there.. You will prolly have to change your oil filter and ur air filter tooo