1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

carb swap

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by pdm317, Apr 23, 2008.

1. pdm317

pdm317 New Member

i have an 81 xj650, my carbs are shot, will carbs from a 550 or 750 work as long as i swap all internal parts, any feedback will help Thanks Paul

2. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

XJ750 model carbs will fit properly, but not the ones from any XJ550 (those are Mikuni carbs, your bike uses Hitachis).

XJ750 carbs have different jetting, and you'd have to swap all the fuel and air jets out, and the skinny main fuel jet needle, too in order to get the carb jetted properly for a 650.

3. pdm317

pdm317 New Member

that would figure all i can find are 550 carbs right now, i have the bike running and it is rideable but in the cleaning process and replacing parts we snaped two of the prongs that hold the floats, the carbs sat with gas in them for quite a while and they are just brittle, sometimes it starves for fuel though that why im looking for a new set

4. civitas104

civitas104 New Member

I had the same probem, a broken float post. I had another set that I had written off as junk because the butterflies were siezed, but I was able to extract the shaft and use the body of one of them with all my good parts from the other carb to make one good set. I still have the other three bodies #1, #2, and #4, if you're interested.