1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Is my frame bent?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by shamus, Apr 24, 2008.

1. shamus

shamus Member

ok, the bike copped a decent hit a month or so ago and I've got the payout from my insurance company and got to keep the bike. I pulled the rear shocks off (one was busted) and the rear mud guard. The rear wheel looks to be a little bit out of whack. Could this be a bent frame or is it osmething to do with not having the suspension connected that makes it like this? You can see in the 1 photo how it got hit, the exhaust and shock took the full force....
    [​IMG]

2. shamus

shamus Member

3. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

something sure is bent, the shocks have nothing to do with the alignment of the wheel

4. 07spacker

07spacker Member

yikes ya... part it out mang

5. shamus

shamus Member

i think I'm going to take the swingarm off and have a look. It looks a bit like the swing arm side is sitting a bit higher than it should be, so I'll have a look at it after I pull the swingarm off.....

6. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

From the damage to the shock and muffler it's hard to see how the swing arm couldn't be bent. Also the rear frame section would be suspect.

7. Kenbo

Kenbo Member

Ouch How did it happen?

Mind you from the look of your feet you are OK :)

8. shamus

shamus Member

i had it parked on the side of the road and someone was driving with his eyes shut and hit it.....
    we had a closer lok last night and there seems to be a slight bend in the swingarm. measuring from the axle to the top shock mount one side is 20mm higher, looks like we'll be able to bend it back though....

9. Old-Grunt

Old-Grunt Member

swingarms are cheap on ebay,just check to be sure you're not getting reamed for shipping,if not ebay I am sure a few guys on here have them they would sell,I have one on a 650 maxim I could pull and sell if it would work
    since it would have to be almost if not perfect when straightend plus you have the loss of strength in the metal from being bent and restraightened I personally would get a differant one.

10. shamus

shamus Member

parts for these things are pretty hard to find in australia...

11. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

That shock looks ugly.

It's hard to tell what model bike it is from the pictures, but I should have a good used swingarm (I would replace the bearings in it though, while everything is apart) that will fit most of the shaft-drive XJ models (except XJ1100 models), and yes, I can ship to Australia, drop me a line if you're interested.

12. shamus

shamus Member

Its a 1981 model, I think down here we have the Euro Spec, basically a seca with an oil cooler...

13. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

Time for a Diversion 900 . Get me one too !

14. Hillsy

Hillsy Member

I'd be betting on the frame being bent also. It's surprising how little it takes to bend a frame in an accident (and legend has it that most 80's Jap frames weren't 100% straight even when they left the factory...)

Whereabouts in Oz are you shamus? Dave Kellett in BNE is a good frame guy if you're up this way. I got my smashed ZX9 straightened and discs true'd by him for around $400. Money well spent.