1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Petrol on the road to Le Mans

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by greg_in_london, Apr 13, 2008.

1. greg_in_london

greg_in_london Member

It might be a long shot, but someone else may have travelled down to Le Mans recently. We haven't been to the 24Hr Moto Enduro for a couple of years, but in that time the A28 motorway has been finished.
    We always used to take the N138/D438 down from Rouen after getting off the Newhaven-Dieppe crossing. There was a petrol station if needed after Rouen and again an all night station which sold good steaks - at Bernay, I think, but I'm not sure. Anyway that was about 90 miles from Le Mans, plus miles of diversion around Le Mans to get to the camping.
    I understand that there may be no petrol available on the motorway and am a bit worried that the petrol stations that were available on other routes may not be open all night anymore now that traffic is using the motorways.

Has anyone been down this way recently - any up-to-date information ?

We'll be getting the 6pm boat from Newhaven, so we'll be travelling through France late at night/early morning.

Thanks

2. ArizonaSteve

ArizonaSteve Member

Is that down past Tucson near Nogales?

3. greg_in_london

greg_in_london Member

Not unless you've taken a serious wrong turning.

Le Mans is one of the major world historic racetracks. It hosts 24 hour endurance races for both cars and bikes. It's in France south west of Paris.

4. ArizonaSteve

ArizonaSteve Member

So it's closer to Tijuana then?

5. greg_in_london

greg_in_london Member

You used to be able to get mileage and directions from google maps, but they seem to have removed that function. Mind you, the preferred route used to include a 2,400 mile swim to Le Havre - not exactly convenient if you have a bike strapped to your back.

Unless Tijuana is a type of drink, or a state of mind, then it'd be pretty close I reckon.

6. greg_in_london

greg_in_london Member

In case anyone has done a search to find this information:

From Rouen, if you stick with the motorway, here is a service station just before you turn south onto the Peage route. There is another just north of Alencon and a third halfway between Alencon and Le Mans.

We found the last two on the way back - travelling south we found a couple of stations, unmanned, but that could take our credit cards, so there was no problem.

A great weekend - I'm always surprised that more Brits don't go. Mind you, I don't understand people who go but don't camp - you completely miss the party.

7. tjdude

tjdude Member

mapquest.com

8. greg_in_london

greg_in_london Member

Nice thought, tjdude, but mapquest don't even have the motorway I was talking about. Both Michelin and googlemaps had it, but didn't show the service stations.
    Maybe it has better coverage in the states.

9. greg_in_london

greg_in_london Member

I thought I had posted a conclusion to this, but obviously not.

There is a petrol station on the autoroute west of Rouen, where you turn south for Le Mans. There are more stops as you head south and credit cards were not a problem in a couple of 24hr automatic petrol stations we stopped at.

All in all much easier than even just a few years ago.

Only downside was that the French Motoclub coffee stop wasn't open, but maybe we were just a little early.