1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New pics of my XJ650 Maxim

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by philbrewer, Apr 29, 2008.

1. philbrewer

philbrewer Member

Looking for all input on what I can do next. I'd like to redo another seat and rear fender. Also have new turn signals for front and back on order. Still debating on wether to install them on the front or not. Let me know what you think!

Forgot to mention these pics were tken downtown detroit at historic fort wayne. crazy.

Click images for larger view.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. philbrewer

philbrewer Member

Anyone know what type of aftermarket exhaust is on my bike, kinda looks like that from a midnight?? Anywho its coming off soon so itll be up for grabs. The slip ons that is.

3. Mixam

Mixam Member

Looks great! Are those pipes nice and loud?

4. gcrick

gcrick Member

Phil, did you get the lights electric mystery solved? may have missed on other thread.

gene

5. philbrewer

philbrewer Member

The pipes have a small growl to them. I am looking for something a little smaller and less chrome.

Gene:
    I have the brake/tail light working now, but I did nothing to fix it, lol. Its just working. I think it must be a short, but for right now it is working.

I still need to wrap headers, remove old pipes and install new slip ons, install new turn signals ( old ones will be available), prime and paint rear fender, paint wheels, sync carbs, new seat. Obviously some of these will have to wait for winter as I am really enjoying the ride! I bought this thing for $400 and the PO couldn't even get it to start, but assured that it ran strong. After a nice carb clean and new CDI, this baby fires right up with a little choke, and will idle strong at 900-1200rpm.

6. baz666

baz666 Member

Lookin' real cool, there Phil. I love all the different mods people try on the ol' XJ's. Yours is a nice one. The back end looks pretty sharp, just chopped off like that. Now this is a true 'chopper', unlike the zillion dollar pieces of unrideable "art" created by so-called bike-lovers. The XJ Tiger is the real deal!
    thx,
    baz

7. worm

worm Member

Phil,
    1. Definately redo the seat
    2. Lower the a$$ end
    3. Smaller slip-ons

Other than small changes I think it looks pretty bad-ass as it stands!!

The header wrap you mentioned doing is one of the easiest additions I made to my bike last winter,.... highly reccomended.

Good luck and keep us posted.

8. gcrick

gcrick Member

lookin' better and better, Phil. You're getting set for a sweet riding summer!

9. philbrewer

philbrewer Member

worm

how can i lower the rear end? Ive been looking at some other shocks on fleabay but Im not sure what I should get. Any suggestions?

I just ordered my header wrap, I got 50' of 2" black for $28! I have 2 into 1 headers so any tips on wrapping them where they join would be greatly appreciated.

10. worm

worm Member

Phil,
    It depends on how involved you want to get. you can replace them with Virago shocks(direct fit up, but only 1 to 1.5 inch lower). You can buy Sportster shocks, but you'll have to change out the bushings and sleeves. or if you want to do some work you can take the stock shock apart and cut the springs down. When I cut mine I went to the extreme and ended up compressing and welding the piston down, so they are actually struts with a shock appearance.

I'm sure people will chime in with more ideas for you.

11. worm

worm Member

Sorry I missed the header wrap part, 50' should be more than enough I also used black 2" .....WEAR GLOVES.....and LONG SLEEVES. That stuff is much worse that any fiberglass insulation I've ever worked with!

Here's an installation video for some guidance, there is a buch of them on Youtube.

DEI Header Wrap install

12. yamabobber

yamabobber Member

where did you get it that cheap phil?!?! i've only found with shipping for $63**

13. philbrewer

philbrewer Member

fleabay!

14. dawsoner

dawsoner Member

Where did you get that license plate mount? I like it...lots

15. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

Cutting the springs off 1" will drop the rear end just enough to clear the fender, depending how low you mount it, and still give you a fairly nice ride.
    Get the shocks that your going to use first, then mount the fender. That's about the easiest way to make sure it'll clear when the shocks are compressed. Just ask me!

16. WesleyJN1975

WesleyJN1975 Member

Go onto mikesxs.com and look up turn signal lenses from a 1982 xs650. They are a much better looking lense that screwed right on my 82' factory signals all the way around. Hope this helps.

17. KennyNapalm

KennyNapalm Member

holy jesus - why havent i heard of Mike's SX before?

18. Awalker19

Awalker19 Member

How much of the XS stuff will fit the XJ? Sorry I'm still new.