1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Where is the worm gear?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by sanchez, May 1, 2008.

1. sanchez

sanchez New Member

Hey guys, I have an issue. I've read up what I could but very little info was found, but to put it as PGDBUD put it, my speedometer is howling. It gets louder the slower I go and its definitely coming from the housing somewhere. He said he removed the display, greased the worm gear and all was fine. SO, where the hell is this worm gear? Any pictures or detailed descriptions would be very helpful. Maybe a map with a big X.
    THanks!

mlwistrom likes this.
  2. ArizonaSteve

ArizonaSteve Member

It's inside the unit so you might want to try oiling the bearing at the
    input where the cable connects and see if that helps.

3. ArizonaSteve

ArizonaSteve Member

There's also a gear inside the sending unit on the front wheel that might need grease too.

4. PGDBUD

PGDBUD Member

Sorry I did not take any pictures of this issue as I was in a hurry to repair it.

The Worm Gear is inside the speedometer.
    I had to remove both Tach & Speedo units from the bike and then remove the two screws that hold the cable connector to the unit. As these two screws are removed the speedo will fall out of the housing and you can then see the speedometer mechanism.

The Worm Gear is now visible to lube.
    I connected the cable back up the unit and elevated the bike on the center stand to rotate the front tire back and forth to ensure the gear was well greased.
    I wish a grease gun could be modified to push grease up the cable connection end, but you'd probably over do it!

5. sanchez

sanchez New Member

Thank you both. I tore apart almost all the housing today trying to get to the mechanism, but couldn't pry the white under casing, where the gear is, from the black cover casing. I'll probably have to dismantle the whole thing again and I'm not too excited about it, but I hope greasing it up a bit stops the damn noise. to be honest, its quite embarrassing. haha. I guess I have a job for tomorrow.

If anyone else has any other comments, please post. All info is appreciated.