1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ Starting Problems

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by mikez, May 6, 2008.

1. mikez

mikez New Member

Good Morning All---New to site---Interesting stuff here. I restored an 85 Maxim XJ last year. Bike runs and handles great. One small plaguing problem. Bike will fire up first time every time---but you need to need to keep the RPM up until it warms up. If not, and it dies, I have a hard problem starting it back up. The enrichners don't appear to do anything in this state. After numerous tries, and almost as battery goes dead, it may fire up, when it does, I don't smell gas or a rich condition. As long as the engine RPM is high enough to prevent it from dieing during warm up, it will be OK.
    The carbs were clean out and synched. When the bike reaches operating temperature, she runs great, and idles great. I even tried using the "choke", and when the engine is warm and idleing-- using it will kill the engine. Reving it and using it on a warm engine does make RPM drop signiciantly, so I'm thinking the circuit is working.
    Any thoughts from anyone out there ??

2. dorri732

dorri732 New Member

I've got a '82 650 Maxim that does the same thing. When it's warm out (70+), it starts fine, but any colder than that and it starts and then dies if I don't rev the snot out of it (not the best thing for a cold engine).

I'm going to pull the carbs back off and check float levels, etc and see if it improves. Good luck.

3. philbrewer

philbrewer Member

Dorri

Sounds like you need to clean your enrichment circuits. After I cleaned mine, approx 3-4 hours, the bike starts right up in the morning, no problems whatsoever.

4. blair

blair New Member

Phil....please provide a brief explanation of cleaning enrichment circuits.

Blair

5. TMHack

TMHack Member