1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Stolen/Recovered XJ900

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by redcentre003, May 12, 2008.

1. redcentre003

redcentre003 Member

Over the weekend I had the unfortunate experience of having my XJ900 stolen from inside my front gate some time overnight. The next day I was a little despondent not at the financial loss (insurance would have covered the loss partially but total value still wasn't a great deal) but at the sentimental attachment to the machine I had spent a lot of time bringing up to mechanical soundness and had plans to give it a great paint job.

Next day I got a call from the police. They found the bike - about 5 suburbs away. Got a lift out there that night and in the darkness it looked OK apart from being very muddy, a completely flat battery apparently (no damage anywhere, not hot wired but must have forced the ignition) and having a shredded back tyre ( burnouts on the bitumen). Not so bad as the tyre was bald anyway and was going to be replaced a few weeks ago but didn't get around to it. Guess I have to now. Looks like someone needed a ride home after a night at the pub! Have organised a carrier to get the bike home and give it a good looking over.

The moral of the story...even with the steering lock, if someone is determined to take the bike they will but let's not make it too easy for them. Steering lock and now another heavy duty lock plus I think I'll set up a quick disconnect from the battery.

It's my daily ride plus a worthy and entertaining pastime. What those thieves need is a 150 kilo Pacific Islander to give them the once over. I wish.

All is well at the moment now that I have my baby back.

2. Anthony14

Anthony14 Member

That's great news! It could have been worse!

My insurance company won't insure my bike against theft because of it's age, and right now, I just have it sitting on my driveway, no locks or anything. I better look into something...

3. Robert

Robert Active Member

Glad your story ended on a happy note. Some of us have not been so lucky. Locks are a great deterrent, one look usually stops the idiots.

4. gunnabuild1

gunnabuild1 Member

Glad to hear you got it back,mines got no ignition lock at the moment so just a switch and a dirty great wheel lock thats a little inconvenient but my bike is still there when I get back.

5. TheHound

TheHound Active Member

My Seca has a factory chain lock for the wheel.
    Never used it, but this gives me cuase.

6. chilidog

chilidog Member

first and foremost im so glad to hear you got the bike back, bike thieves are right down there with horse thieves IMHO...here in the US theft insurance on an older Japanese bike is usually just not worth the cost, example they wanted something like $800us per year to add comprehensive on my 85xj700n, and its worth maybe $1500. but my 2001 HD FLHT electraglide is worth maybe $9000 and full coverage is only about $350/yr...needless to say I carry and use a kryptonite lock on the yammy but I just padlock my helmet to the disc on the HD and call it good, I don't even lock the ignition on it. at home they are garaged and our secondary insurance is provided by, S&W, Ruger, Sig, Ithaca, Makarov, NAA, Llama, Winchester, SKS and a bat.

7. avengingllama

avengingllama Member

Awesome to hear that you got it back =)

8. schmuckaholic

schmuckaholic Well-Known Member

...that would be Simonov, unless I miss my guess. Perhaps you'd like to meet my barbershop quartet: Mr. Mossberg, Mr. Marlin, Mr. Simonov, and Mr. Bushmaster. 8)

9. sim37

sim37 Member

Im amazed you got it back in as good a condition as it is. Could've been a lot worse.

10. Alive

Alive Active Member

Hey Red....

Lucky to get it back in one piece, but don't celebrate until you hear it running.

If they were getting it dirty and doing burnouts then they could have done some damage to the engine and or suspension.

In saying that there's nothing that can't be fixed :)

I'd be gutted if my 900 got stolen.

11. redcentre003

redcentre003 Member

Thanks for all the kind words folks.

On the insurance front my insurance premium is very low (AUS$140/year) but that's for a market value of around $2000 - $2500) BUT (isn't there always a BUT with insurance...) I have a general mandatory $350 excess on the policy and I just found out, in addition to that, an extra $500 theft excess! Total $850! So...even if they paid out $2000, less $850, I would have only got around $1150 returned. Can't buy much of anything roadworthy and running for that and more than likely not another '85 XJ900!

First step of the recovery process has been completed - having it carried back to my place and putting the battery on the charger. Looks like they stalled the bike when they finished with it and left the ignition on. Battery was as flat as a tack. Not even the neutral light came on!

Popped it on the charger for about 3 hours (2100Ma charger) and it was nearly full. Another burst this morning got it up to full capacity.

Next step is to remove back wheel and get a new tyre.

Will fire her up tonight when i get a chance and hopefully the engine is AOK.

Thanks again folks - look after your rides. You don't know what you've got till it's gone.

12. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Karl:

I'm so glad you got the Bike back in one piece. Damn the guy who stole it!
    I know theres no Insurance that can possibly cover sentimental value and your "Sweat Equity" poured into that Bike.

You are the man who replaced that Bike's Starter Clutch using the shortcut.
    You did the Engine and Rings and Valves.
    It's been your Pride and Joy for so long I can't imagine the thought of you finding it missing.

I'll think twice about leaving my bike unsecured now. It gets awfully comfortable living in the Burbs where you can leave the keys in it while running an errand in the car.

I guess if they managed to Burn away the rear tyre ... you had it running pretty well; too.

Lets hope there's no damage unseen and thank the Motorcycle God's for letting you have the bike back.

Your friend,
    Rick