1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Oil Problems

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by pdm317, May 13, 2008.

1. pdm317

pdm317 New Member

I have an 81 XJ650, It runs great my problem is that after it warms up or if i jump on the highway it starts to spit oil out the overflow from the airbox, How do i fix this ? is their some sort of PVC type valve or some other type valve i need to adjust to let air in, im kinda stumped, I order a manual but waiting for it to come Any feedback will help greatly.

Thanks Paul

2. xyxj650

xyxj650 Member

Check your oil. You may be leaking gas into the engine. Check and see if the oil smells like gas and make sure you didn't over fill it. If that isn't it there maybe other things that could cause it. I have never heard of a pcv valve on this kind of bike. Check your petcock valve as that might also be letting to much fuel ito your carbs.

3. pdm317

pdm317 New Member

the oil is brand new jus changed it ,no gas smell, i have rebuilt the petcock so i do not think its that either, thanks though

4. xyxj650

xyxj650 Member

hmmmm I'll have to keep my eye on this thread. Have you ever had your compression checked? Could be that you are having some blowby from bad rings. Don't quote me on that I don't know a ton about bikes but I did have a car that did that. Also check your air box and see what it looks like in there.

5. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

How many miles on this bike, Take off your oil cap and see how much pressure is building up in your crank case

6. pdm317

pdm317 New Member

i have not checked compression but wouldnt their be other issues with bad rings the bike runs great, put 40 miles on it tonight, this is the only issue with this bike besides some screwed up carbs but will have my new set by this weekend, the bike has just over 8000 miles on. i have opened the oil cap after riding and had no pressure release or any thing like that.

7. xyxj650

xyxj650 Member

Just a shot in the dark but how much oil did you put in?

8. pdm317

pdm317 New Member

well thats the last time i listen to the dealer i should know better he told me 5 qts and now that i have went back and read old Q&A i sure i had too much oil in it, i hope i didnt mess anything else up by havin too much oil, i am going to follow rickomatics way and jus watch the window Thanks for the help sometimes it just take another head to figure these things out

thanks again Paul

9. xyxj650

xyxj650 Member

sometimes I think the dealers got their head up their a#s! If their brains were a gas they wouldn't have enough to drive a piss ants motorcycle around a fruit loop! Not all of them but some.

10. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

check the oil on the center stand not on the kick stand

11. Altus

Altus Active Member

Yup - way too much oil - like over 2 litres/quarts worth.
    Should only take about 3 litres/quarts for a full oil change including the filter. Drain some out asap, check and make sure your air filter isn't ruined too. You'll be just fine.

12. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

5 quarts?

Your lucky you aren't blowing oil right out the tailpipes.

Drain the excess out until you see a bubble in the OIL LEVEL WINDOW!

Fill the bike with oil until the level is JUST at the TOP of the Window.
    Thats safe.

Any more than that and you need the Coast Guard to help clean-up the Air Box.

13. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

Check the boot over the drive shaft joint to see if oil is in there too. I had bad needles and seats. My engine filled up with gas and that boot filled up with oil and now the boot is rotten from having gas and oil in it for too long. My boot might have been bad before. Looks like a pain to change' That swing arm has to be right or I don't think the rear suspension will work right.