1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What kind of seat is on your Maxim?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by BlackD, May 19, 2008.

1. BlackD

BlackD New Member

I'm going to pick up my first XJ tomorrow, an 82 650 Maxim to be more specific, and the pitures I got from the current owner show a king/queen seat on it. Does anyone else have a seat like this? What type of seat do you like?

Attached Files:

2. cole9900

cole9900 Member

BlackD,
    Good looking bike. Ride safe!! It looks like that is the replacement seat from JCWhitney. I have one that I got to modify for a 750, but have never ridden with one. Still using the stock seat. It looked as if, at least for the rider, it might be pretty comfortable for longer distances. Let us know what you think of it after you put a few miles on it.

3. jdpesz

jdpesz Member

That is obviously a custom saddle, and looks like a fairly spendy one at that. If you remove the seat and look underneath, there should be a label indicating the manufacturer, as was the case with mine:<http://www.xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=8150.html> Once you determine who made it, it's google time.
    Nice looking bike there. How much, if I may ask?

4. cole9900

cole9900 Member

Have never tried to attach a picture on this before. Will give it a shot. If it comes through, it is a picture of a seat from JCWhitney that I think will look familiar. If it doesn't can SOMEBODY tell me how that works.

5. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

I had a seat like that but didn't like it. Every time I braked I wound-up straddling the gas tank.

I finally got fed-up with it and took to carving it up and making a more comfortable seat.

I took-off the seat cover and sketched-out a more satisfying contour with a Magic Marker.
    Then, I set upon removing the "Hump" with a serrated-edged carving knife and sharpened scissors.
    I finished the contouring by "Sculpturing" the foam rubber with a high speed angle grinder.
    The grinder you have to handle like a precision instrument. It makes very quick work of removing and sculpting the foam rubber.

Eyeball the work from every angle in good light.
    When you have removed the "Playground slide effect" you use the old seat cover and upholstery glue to fit the seat cover to the new contour.

6. XJ_Dirk

XJ_Dirk New Member

7. BlackD

BlackD New Member

jdpesz, I don't mind you asking. I picked it up for $1000 even and it'll cost about $100 for me to go get it. 200mi. one way to pick it up and I'll be driving the OH and PA turnpikes so I'll have tolls to pay. It took me about a week to find a turn key 650 Maxim that was within a reasonable distance. I hope I don't end up in the tank when I stop, I just had a vasectomy(I'm sure noone wated to know that). I'll be posting right away when I get on this thing to let everyone how the seat works for me. I appreciate the input.

8. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

I tried a similar seat. It pushes the rider forward. I'm 6' and found the position uncomfortable. Great on the backside though, and I bet a passenger would love it.

If you decide it's cramping you up drop me a message. I've got an original cover and foam in very good condition I'll cut you a deal on.

9. BlackD

BlackD New Member

Well, I picked up the bike today and after riding it for the first time, I would have to agree with those who say that the seat puts you into the tank. Kind of uncomfortable. Other than the seat and poor breaking power of the bike, I love it. I think that I'm going to take the same approach as RickCoMatic and pull the cover off and do some resculpting of the front seat. I guess if it doesn't turn out I'll try to grab an original seat. Then I'll be replacing the old brake shoes and installing a braided steel brake line up front.