1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

jets under diaphram question

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by W8OVR, May 18, 2008.

1. W8OVR

W8OVR New Member

Have had carbs out numerous times now for cleaning and adjustments but cannot get my bike to start. Turns over but won't fire, have checked to make sure I've got spark (even got new set of plugs to insure), have checked and double checked float heights (25mm from float bowl lip using vernier right??), gas is flowing etc. but it just won't start (except for momentary firing when gas was directly applied into spark plug holes). Am starting to wonder if I reversed the little brass jets under the diaphram on top of carbs, can anyone tell me whether the smaller of the two numbers goes closest to the front (engine side) of the carbs?
    Everything else seems right short of having gotten more crud in the system after cleaning so am going to tear down and clean again this week.

2. schmuckaholic

schmuckaholic Well-Known Member

No. Big hole goes towards the engine. That's the pilot air jet.

3. W8OVR

W8OVR New Member

Thanks, will pull out and double check that today

4. willierides

willierides Member

Are your enrichment passages clean? That was my problem with similar symptoms.

5. W8OVR

W8OVR New Member

Just learned about those passages a couple of weeks ago (this site is a great reference tool) so I did make sure they're all clean and ready to go, thanks for the heads up