1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

stripped allen bolt on bottem of forks

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by kar98k, May 20, 2008.

1. kar98k

kar98k New Member

i went to change my fork seals today and found that my left fork has the allen bolt that holds the fork together stripped it is recessed into the fork. any ideas on how to fix this problem? i am a diesel mechanic so i have a lot of tools but am unsure of how to deal with this issue and if i can get a new bolt or if it is some special order deal.

I swear it wasn't me who striped it. :D ...... for once

2. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Grind the pointed end off a regular Easy-out. Use the Easy-out to hold the Allen Cap Screw. Loosen the Damper from INSIDE by turning the Fork Tool.

3. kar98k

kar98k New Member

cool thank you i will try that when i get to work tomorrow. work is slow so i have my bike in the shop to do maintenance its sweet im being paid to work on my own bike. god i love my job :D

4. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

Just drill the head off and replace it. There is even a little copper washer under it that gives you some room for error.

5. Altus

Altus Active Member

Whoa there folks - if you mean the big allen head bolt at the bottom, it's supposed to be recessed into the fork. And if by "stripped" you mean it just spins when you turn it -- that might also be normal...
    Have you put the bolt holder down into the fork tube to hold the nut on the inside when you're turning the allen bolt? If not - it's not stripped....

6. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Good call, Altus:

The Damper Rod is held in place by that Allen Bolt. The Damper Rod needs to be held from spinning inside the Fork Tube by extending a Tool down the Fork Tube to hold the Damper from spinning as the Allen Bolt is extracted.

You are welcome to zip up here to Billerica and borrow my Fork Tool. It has both sized Hex Flats (on each end) and fits ALL Yamaha Fork Tubes.

Or, just bring the two forks and we'll rebuild them, right here, on the spot.
    Ought to take about an hour or two depending on the condition the Forks are in.

7. kar98k

kar98k New Member

well ty for all the help i got the bolt out today i ended up drilling the head off of it really carefully. the allen part of it was stripped not the threads so i drilled the head off of the bolt and went to lowes and got a new one.

Thank You for all of the help guys