1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Gas tank options for 1981 maxim 650

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by philbrewer, May 19, 2008.

1. philbrewer

philbrewer Member

Id like to replace my fuel tank with that from a simial year seca. I currently have an 81 maxim. Does anyone know if a 550 or 650 seca tank will fit my frame? I noticed that the 550 and 650 tanks are slightly different.

thanks in advance.

2. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

I don't know if this will help or not, but a 650 Maxim tank fits on a 750 Seca. So I assume the 750 Seca tank will fit on your 650 Maxim, if your looking for a larger tank for longer trips between fill ups. PD

3. philbrewer

philbrewer Member

Im actually just looking for a Seca tank that will fit my maxim, to give it a more cafe look.

4. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

550 Seca tanks will NOT fit your 650 unless you're willing to do a bunch work on the mounting points....the distance between the front and rear mounting points on the 550 tanks is actually LONGER than on the 650/750 tanks (go figure!).

XJ700 tanks won't even come close to fitting on anything but 700's....don't even try.

Never had a 900 tank to compare, same for 1100.

650 and 750 tanks are direct interchanges with each other.

650 Seca and 750 Seca tanks are similar in style/design/appearance, but the 750 Seca tank is quite a bit larger.

650 Seca tanks have no large opening for a fuel sender unit, while 750 Seca tanks do.

5. gcrick

gcrick Member

Len, Phil and I both have 1981 650 Maxims. So let me confirm: which 750 tanks are direct swaps? (e.g. which models, etc)

thx
    g

6. chacal

Either the 750 Maxim or the 750 Seca, all years, will fit on the XJ650 Maxim or Midnight Maxim (and probably 650 Seca, too) frames. You will run into some small interference problems between the back of the tank and the front of the seat, but not anything horribly bad. The 1983 XJ750 Maxim tanks do NOT have a fuel sender hole, so they're the most desirable ones to have for this kind of swap, but very hard to find. On the other model 750 tanks, you'll just leave the sender unit installed, electrically not hooked up, and you're shiny.

The 750 Maxim tanks look great on the 650 Maxim's, because they're just "beefier" enough to make you feel really manly, while also appearing "factory original". And they hold more fuel. Same petcocks can be used, same fuel caps, same mounting pads. The 750 Seca tanks have a sort of "odd" look when installed on a Maxim, mainly due to the lack of the "integrated side covers" look that the Seca models have (to my eye). When you install a Seca tank onto a Maxim, and step back 10-15', you get this "something's not right" look about the bike....looks unfinished or "slapped together", an obvious mis-match of parts.

7. gcrick

gcrick Member

thanks Len, I've now officially added a 750 Maxim gas tank to my growing 'watch/wish' parts list. (as you know I'm trying to think and learn so I get the right parts in this restoration project).

does the 82 750 Maxim also not have a sender hole? I didn't think they had fuel gauges but not sure.

thanks again
    gene

FOR THE RECORD: "CHACAL" Rocks!

8. chacal

1982 750 Maxim tanks HAVE a fuel sender.

1983 750 Maxims do NOT have a fuel sender.

All 750 Seca tanks HAVE a fuel sender.

9. philbrewer

philbrewer Member

Ok so I decided to go with a 650 seca tank for my cafe project. Its from a 1982 650 Seca, does this thing have an electronic fuel sending unit?

10. chacal

No......650 Seca models had no fuel tank sending unit.

You will have to use the rear tank pad and mounting clip and bolt that is specific to the 650 Seca...the 650 Maxim stuff is different/won't work, so try to pick that stuff up with the tank!