1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

SS1K - Saddle Sore 1000 (Day 5)

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by woot, May 20, 2008.

1. woot

woot Active Member

<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=44.777479+-
    Woke up the regular time and started thinking about the SS1K. Was it possible? What's the weather like? Turns out that this is more a mental game than it seems at face value. 1000 miles - pushed near that distance several times.

Wes and I chatted over our morning coffees and it seemed like as good a time as any to start rolling. After the success the day before of Wes's Canadian Tire hi-vis rain suit, I figured that's where I'd start. Who wants to ride soaking wet?

I stopped in at the Canadian Tire in Kingston, got the suit (and many strange looks), got my starting receipt and called Wes. Anything I need to remember? Keep the receipts for everything, if you stop longer than 30 minutes get another receipt. Easy enough - I'm in the habit of marking all my receipts with mileage anyhow. (I'll do the math later but right I'll start the typing instead)

So - at 10:56 ET I got my starting Gas receipt. It was raining and hovering around 7C

2 hours in and my feet are soaked. I bagged my boots - tapped the toes - water proofed them before leaving Halifax, and on the tag is says "Water Proof" but no matter how you slice it - my feet were in puddles. I was cold. REALLY cold. Your mind wanders between getting home and having a hot shower, and calling it a day.

I rode until the reserve light came on in Montreal area. Stopped for gas and met my first gas station attendant. It is p!$$ pouring rain and a guy pulls up on a CBR. Saddlebags, tent, tank bag GPS and a high VIS rain suit. It almost demands the questions; where are you coming from and where are you going? Kingston - Halifax - <24 hours. A look of shock. Really? Don't you have to go slow in the rain? Not really - I have every confidence in these tires... and I know these tires can be pushed north of 200 in the rain, and I'm no where near that today.

A look of shock and bewilderment as I down my first hot chocolate and muffin. My only question? What's hot here?

That hot chocolate hit the spot. For the next 100km I was feeling great, the world was a better place and I knew I could do it. As the next 150km wore on I got colder and colder. I split my pants at this stage so rain was running along the gas tank, into the crotch of my rain pants, through my 'waterproofed' '100% waterproof pants' and soaking my jogging pants. I sat on a cbr in wet pants for the entire ride it seems.

I made it to Levy on this tank of gas, and had a minor re-route into Quebec city when my GPS kept saying go left young man. I did - and realized too late I was a lane too far left and was now on a bridge taking me into Quebec city, as opposed to bypassing it as I had planned. No problem, first exit, back over the bridge.

Gas stop 2 - Levy Quebec I grabbed a cup of cauliflower soup and hot dogs. It was warm and the Quebec police arrived and gave me an interesting lunch time show... not sure what had happened exactly, all I really understood of the talking was there was a repeat gas thief...

Off I went, and finally a hole in the clouds, the rain stopped and I saw my own shadow. Now I know I can make it... I'd checked the weather maps and thought if I got to Quebec in short enough order that I could get under the rain band.

Passing Rivier-du-Loup the rain started again - and by the time I made it to the Irving Big Stop at the NB/Quebec border it was hammering down loudly enough to trigger my AutoCom mic. The reserve light had been on 20km at that point so I was happy my geography held up to the test. Gassed up and went inside for a bowl of chilli. Unfortunately they were out of chilli so I had a big bowl of barley and beef soup - on the house. It seems that if you arrive in hi-vis, people know you're insane and want to do something to make it better... hot soup was the perfect cure. I unplugged the mic in the helmet - as getting at the vox setting was too arduous at this point (under my seat, which was under 30-40lbs of wet gear).

I headed out into the rain and was really happy I had put new rubber on... it was pounding down and any time I was behind a vehicle - even a 1/4 of a mile back - the spray cloud danced in the headlight and all I saw was mist and a very faint white line. The trick was to catch someone slowly - then make the run past them. No need being blind any longer than unnecessary in moose country.

At this point it started getting colder. The day time high so far had been 8C in Quebec when the sun had come out... now it was pitch black. For a considerable part of the day my temp gauge had barely registered - now it was pointing at the off state... I was wondering what the temperature was, and saw snow in the ditches at one point... it was absolutely bone chillingly cold. I can honestly say I've never been that cold for that long in my life... and I've tested survival gear for SAR.

Doing the math I had enough gas to make it past Fredericton, but there was a convent location en route - Lincoln Big stop. This plan was really jeopardized when my fuel light came on a full 30km before I expected it to. Wes had asked when I was up how far could I get on reserve, and I was about to find out. After the light had been on for a full 20km I saw the big stop sign - 20km ahead. I'd already hit reserve way earlier than I expected, so how far could I get on the tank? The tank is 18 and if I put $18 into the tank that's about 16 litres... so I guess I have 2 litres more to use... maybe a 3 litre reserve? hrm... say I'm getting 8 L to 100km... oh call it 9... so more than 30km in theory.

I hit the gas button on the GPS - take the next exit it said. Ok. As soon as I got off the highway I was thinking man you are so stupid. There is no way that this is going to be open. At this point I'd made my bed. I couldn't make the Big Stop if I wasted an ounce of gas on this hair brained GPS route... and I wasn't even sure if I could make it to the Big Stop even if I hadn't had made this mistake. Fine. Woman's voice in my helmet - Turn left and drive 3.4 km. The street is pitch black. Closed stores, parked trailors... this isn't looking good. 600 meters she said... I can't see anything. I'm fogging my visor. It is pitch black. The lines are faded. It is pouring. I'm not seeing anything. 400 meters. Nothing? 300 meters... 200 meters. Low and hehold an Esso sign. At least it is here, but will it be open at this hour?

Sure enough it was... I pump the gas, mark the receipt, put it in the log book and head inside - desperately looking for something warm. Nothing to be found.... but if I go the way I went there is a Tim Hortons... perfect.

Out I go... more black road and an intersection she hadn't mentioned... No more wild goose chases! I turned around and headed for the highway. I'll stop at the Big Stop. Then I saw a sign 170km to Moncton... done and done! There is another Big stop there... I'll go there and not waste this stop for a cup of coffee.

At this point I found the limititations of the basemap on the GPS. I listened to a woman's voice say turn left in 500 meters. Recalculating. Turn right in 300 meters. Recalculating. Finally she gave up on me and just showed my bike's icon traveling through farmers fields, over lakes, through forests.... I guess no one told Garmin that there is about 80km of new highway. This did pose a problem though. I had a 1600km route planned before I left... and now I was eating miles off that route.

Finally the moon broke through and I thought I'll be dry from here on in. But instead it really meant it'll turn colder and you'll have road spray or rain. I pulled into the Salisbury Big Stop just before Moncton, gassed up and went for my coffee. I ended up with a free coffee and a sausage. I hung around, picked up a bright orance rubberized glove - and a second pair of wool gloves that I used as a liner. Putting away my still dry (funny that's the one bit of kit that DID stay water proof) winter gloves I donned these less crash worthy, but I felt warmer gloves. The decision was warmer hands means less likely to crash.

I finally saw the Cobiquid toll highway sign. I'm almost home! About 1.5 hours now - that's it! I even made conscious note to stay alert. At this point a truck flashed me - thinking it was odd as I had my low beams on already I backed off my 110 km/h. Sure enough - a group of deer were crossing the road. I saw 3-4 deer but I have no clue how many were there, or how many I'd passed without seeing. No emergency, but certainly a note to stay alert...

Leaving NB heading south I chased the remnants of the rain away - the odd trickle of water making it somewhere new, shook off with a shiver. Approaching the Cobiquid toll plaza I was tempted to get an 'I owe you' which is something they've done for me in the past. I was chilled. I didn't want to take off both pairs of gloves, unbutton my hi-vis waterproof and dig in my Joe Rocket pocket for my ziplock clad wallet... but I stopped and the guy was immediately taken in with the bike.

You're not in one of those races he asks? No not a race... he continues on saying he see's BMWs all the time - doing some race. I said - oooh - well, I'm trying to do a thousand mile day... but it's not a race. He looked at how I'd mounted the GPS and mentioned he picked one up as well... a Tom Tom. He must have been having a boring night... and stopping made me feel a lot better, got some warmth built up. Must have chatted in the toll plaza (at the ticket window) for 5 minutes... never saw another car.

At this point I had enough gas to make it home, but I decided I'd stop in Truro anyhow and get one last cup of coffee. Another freebie. Someone said good morning, and I realized that these people were starting there day, as I was trying to finish mine. Something kinda funny in that thought after the best part of 18 hours on a bike!

Headed for home and the last 90km ticked down quickly. Luckily the gas station I wanted was closed, so I had to push on a bit further - logging the last precious miles to complete the 1600 I required. 1 609.344 to be precise... I stopped the bike with 1614 on the clock wondering if I shouldn't get some gas - run to the airport, get another gas receipt to show the loop, and run back to this gas station to ensure I had enough. If it hadn't been for some errors in Quebec I'd have needed to have done something... but I felt I was cold enough, and logged enough miles... we'll see what the judges say.

I pulled into my driveway about 5:30 AT... (4:30 ET) meaning I'd been on the rode for 17.5 hours... and made 5 gas stops, plus my start and end gas receipts. Certainly in better weather I'd not have spent 15-20 minutes at each gas station, nor would I have been below the speed limit in moose country. That's was a personal limitation.

I'll check the GPS to get total times and average speeds - but - 1600 km / 17.5 hours = 91.5 km (about 56mph) average speed including gas stops was what I managed approximately.

Anyhow - lots more to follow... but I figured I'd start while it was fresh.

2. dburnettesr

dburnettesr Member

your tuff woot an I can appreciate the event,,way to hang in there,,,,Dan

3. TheHound

TheHound Active Member

Damn!
    1000 miles on a bike in one day.
    I would never walk again, my knees permanently bent, back so twisted an asian masseuse wouldn't have time for the happy ending.
    Again DAMN!

4. Old-Grunt

Old-Grunt Member

that sounded familure woot,I did the bun burner 1000 on a DRZ400 a few years ago,I havnt checked lately but last time I looked it was still the only DRZ to do it.. I got up one saturday and told the wife I was going for a ride,she asked where I was heading I said Texas,dont wait up for me LOL.
    I did 1048 miles (I think thats the right miles) in 18 hrs and a few min not bad for a mostly dirt set up dual sport,I didnt have the rain but the temps was 100+ and windy as all get out that day, I realy want to do the 1500 miles in 24 hours on the DRZ I just need to get in the right mood some weekend..I've had the the route planned a couple years I just need to do it.

5. Old-Grunt

Old-Grunt Member

that sounded familure woot,I did the bun burner 1000 on a DRZ400 a few years ago,I havnt checked lately but last time I looked it was still the only DRZ to do it.. I got up one saturday and told the wife I was going for a ride,she asked where I was heading I said Texas,dont wait up for me LOL.
    I did 1048 miles (I think thats the right miles) in 18 hrs and a few min not bad for a mostly dirt set up dual sport,I didnt have the rain but the temps was 100+ and windy as all get out that day, I realy want to do the 1500 miles in 24 hours on the DRZ I just need to get in the right mood some weekend..I've had the the route planned a couple years I just need to do it.

6. Kickaha

Kickaha Active Member Premium Member

I've done two of them and both time it was 19.5 hours for the 1600km, only having a 15 litre tank really sucked to

They run an 1000mile/24hr event here each year and every year it's a different route

I found it a lot easier than I thought and to finish was more a mental issue than a physical one

7. thefox

thefox Member

I'm doing my first SS1K in 2 weeks, the minute man 1000 starting out near Boston MA. The thing is, I live 650 miles from the start so it will probably end up being a 2500 mile trip. So far I have put about 20 miles on the Seca this year.... I need to get some seat time and make sure it is ready.

8. Gwyndwr

Gwyndwr Member

1000 miles is so far beyond my physical capabilities I don't even need to know what must be going through your mind by the end. My endurance trip this summer consists of 350 to 500 kilometer days with stops at breweries, pubs, gas stations, and the occasional cafe throughout Eastern Europe.

If I get tired I have a credit card with a very high limit to check me into a 5 star and get some hot tub time.

1000 miles is crazy. Way to Go!

9. woot

woot Active Member

We're banging around ideas of doing a coast to coast... I'm up for it. In Canada Ontario is the biggest stumbling block, so routing south of the Great Lakes makes the most sense in terms of time.

My personal idea of a good time on a bike - would be 300km to 500km days with lots of time to see places in the evening. The current item being budgeted for is 2 weeks in NZ next fall... rent some bikes and see how much we can see in 2 weeks riding ~400km days.

I'm hearing nothing but wonderful things about New Zealand... so we shall see.

10. Gwyndwr

Gwyndwr Member

That would be a fantastic trip! I was just bantering back and forth with Alive on another thread. If you get down there you should look him up. Get him to hook you up with some XJ's ;)

11. woot

woot Active Member

Well with the cost of rentals - you could probably buy an XJ... and I'd rather give an XJ'er another XJ than give it to a rental company.

12. Alive

Alive Active Member

Fantastic idea Woot....

December to April is the best time as it's summer and usually not a huge amount of rain.

If you decide to go ahead let me know I have seen a whole heap of this country and could give you a list of "must see" places.

Oh and you're right about the bike... It would be cheaper to buy an XJ than rent and there are a couple of people in both the north and south islands with a good selection of parts and tools. :)

13. Alive

Alive Active Member

Great story by the way.

Reminds me a little of the first big run I did on the 900 last year... 3000kms in 5 days

Rode from Auckland to Central Otago and back for a bike rally called the Brass Monkey... 2 days there 1 day off and 2 days back.

Thankfully we didn't get a lot of rain but god damn it was cold riding back... They don't call it the Brass Monkey for nothing :)

14. dinoracer

dinoracer Member

I did the SS1000 but never sent in the paperwork. Did it on the Seca Turbo. Went from Riverside Ca. to Denver CO in one day. Slabbed it all the way and made it there in about 16 hours. Was only scary when I went through the Eisenhower tunnel and red in big red letters... WARNING ICE AHEAD. I thought oh Cr@p, I am only on two wheels. I was lucky, no ice but lots of blowing snow. I would do it again, wound up being one of the nicest rides I have went on.

15. woot

woot Active Member

16. woot

woot Active Member

To revive an old thread - I'm still considering the idea of buying an XJ in NZ and doing my trip on it. I wonder how the insurance would work? Could a non-Kiwi register and insure a bike? Given the cost of rentals is >2000 in the span of time I'm interested, I figure if I can get a bike for half that or near that anyhow - and at the end as good as donate it to a NZ XJ fan... Then at least the money wasn't wasted and someone gets a nearly free XJ out of it.

I figure fly in with my soft luggage and a single carry on duffel - find my way to a friendly XJ'er and purchase a bike. Ride around the country with my tent. Come back and hand off the bike. That way instead of a $6000 trip we're talking $2000 for air, <$1000 cost in the bike, and another $1000 for food, gas, camp ground fees. Considerably cheaper, and someone gets a bike out of it.

17. sgary

sgary Member

My friend and I have discussed the same plan for a European adventure.
    I would be cool to set up a crash pad list. A free place where people could stay when they were in town. I'd be on the list.

18. woot

woot Active Member

Ya - I can usually make something work here as well.

Other plans include Mexico, but that's still a hatchling idea.

19. trekrider

trekrider Member

wanna compare 183 miles in a day on a bicycle?? 14 hours of riding in middle of August in the hills of PA, no gas wasted here just several gallons of gatorade and water :)

20. TheHound

TheHound Active Member

Good idea.
    I would be worried that the paper work and red tape would eat up most of your trip.
    I know how DMV is here in the states.
    Legally I don't think you have an issue.
    Then there's the site unseen XJ.
    The only way this could work is if a fellow XJer either sold you a running bike or let you borrow one.
    Even if you had a lead on an XJ if it's not currently on the road you never know what issues it has.

You were talking about a Mexico trip but the start and end of the trip would be cold.
    You could put your bike on the train, ride the train to Florida.
    Get off and ride along the coast to Mexico.
    reverse on the way back.
    :D