1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Hug your Maxim today! Have you seen the price of gas?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Madone1, May 22, 2008.

1. Madone1

Madone1 Member

I'm thinking we should all hug our Maxims today for all the money they are saving us. It wasn't that long ago that I was driving my SUV (cage) everyday and getting a whopping 17 mpg. I got rid of the SUV and now my Maxim takes me everywhere I need to go, and I'm lovin' every minute of it. Funny how getting 50+ mpg can make you feel better about life! Tonight, I think the old Maxim is going to get a big hug and maybe a nice sponge bath 8)

2. woot

woot Active Member

<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=44.777479+-
    Ya the price of gas has been bad! Around here it's hit $1.33/Litre already - I'm guessing between $4.50/5 a gallon in your prices... Australia is 5 a gallon now, and Europe has been damn near 10 at times in the past.

For me, your gas prices were cheap... for Europe our prices are laughable... but then again they don't drive as far as we do daily either.

3. pvtschultz

pvtschultz Member

And Europeans chose to pay outrages taxes, we didn't (thank God).

My Chevy Suburban remains parked in the driveway whenever the weather is good enough to ride the Maxim or I don't need to tow/carry anything substantial. I "only" got 37 mpg city (compared to 12 mpg) on my last tank but that should improve with this current tank since I'm taking it a lot easier on her. I'm definately glad that I got her now! Always was, but even more so now. I'll get the carbs synched soon and try to tune her up a bit better, but for now she's running good enough.

4. Danilo

Danilo Member

Dunno guys When I was a kid, I worked at a Chevron station.. Gas was 50 cents/gallon.. I got paid $1.15/hour (min wage).
    Today it's $4/gallon and min wage is $8
    Not a lot of change is there?

5. Madone1

Madone1 Member

But it's the "relfex affect" that really makes it bad today, Danilo. As gas prices go up, everyone in the consumer supply change adds a little extra cost to all the goods you and I purchase. In the end - that's inflation. Back when gas was 50 cents a gallon, inlflation was not as widespread.

6. Kickaha

Kickaha Active Member Premium Member

And it's hit the $2+ a litre mark here in NZ

7. Altus

Altus Active Member

$1.27 a litre here in S.Ont today -- works out to $4.78 a gallon US -- for basic 87 octane stuff.

Filled up the minivan the other day - $88 - ouch.

8. Gwyndwr

Gwyndwr Member

almost a $1.50 for 97 octane here in Vancouver. My minivan has a 110 liter tank. I cross the border to fill it up at $4 a gallon and that kills me.

9. Ass.Fault

Ass.Fault Active Member

3.82 is Texas(Home of oil)
    The seca is going everywhere with me like an annoying girlfriend.
    Except she's not annoying at all ;)

10. cowboy45

cowboy45 New Member

3.71 a gallon is starting to look pritty good here in Oregon.

11. bstig60

bstig60 Member

$4.09 for Regular 87 Octane and 4.19 for premium 91 Octane here in Northern California. Gotta burn the premium in the bikes.

12. Ass.Fault

Ass.Fault Active Member

HorseS#!*

13. badams201

badams201 Member

$3.89 here in Springfield,TN. Filled the f150 pig up = $85. Filled the xj up = $11.45. I will be glad to get this bike back on the road.

14. albert311

albert311 New Member

$ 3.85 gallon in south eastern PA. the maxim getting 42 mpg you gotta love that.If it would just stop raining. gas was 19.9 when i started pumping it we come a long way and going a lot further i expect.

15. bstig60

bstig60 Member

Albert311,
    That's about the price when I got out of high school, but I remember $.17 cents per gallon. A $1.00 worth would run you all week. Bounth my first bike about then, it was a mid 50's Harley that someone wrecked in front of the Service Station where I worked.
    My XJ750RK is stock and gets 53 MPG on a trip running 91 Octane and averages 50 around town. I am curious as to the difference in Mileage. My elevation is different, I know as I do most of my riding between 2 and 3000 feet.
    Ass.Fault: Curious what you burn in your bike as the RJ is much the same as my RK other than the cruise kit. I recall I always used premium in my '83 750 Maxim and in my Tripple. The Octane for Regular is only 87 here. As I recall the octane in regular in Texas is 89 unless they have changed it.

16. knuts2a

knuts2a Member

Paying a $1.65.9 c/l for 95ron and getting under 5.5l/100km, less than half what the Volvo chews (mind you my V8 Discovery used 24l/100km round town!) @300km a week commuting rain hail and shine (mostly shine, in a drought here) the XJ900 doesn't get to cool down much. :D

17. Hvnbnd

Hvnbnd Active Member

I have an 06 Camry with the I-4 and it get 36 mpg all the time!

Makes it really hard to ride my bike when it only gets about 40mpg.
    Been snowing here Thursday nite

18. Gamuru

Gamuru Guest

Here in Western Washington, we're paying between $3.87 and $4.00. Locally, I pay $4 unless I want to ride an extra 20 miles to find it 10¢ cheaper. It's about to take a hike for the holiday weekend.

19. Ass.Fault

Ass.Fault Active Member

Nope REG is 87. The octane above 87 in not needed unless you have modified your compression ratio OR you are having major engine problems OR you want the additives in the premium/midgrade mix.

Octane is the number giving to identify its ingition tolerances.
    Higher the octane the lesser chance it will preignite before TDC

The laymans video to octane, PLUS watch his other Motorcycle movies too.
    They are kinda neat. I have T1 so it takes 20 secs to load them all. Slower connections may take longer 8)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZx5w1jVUDA

20. dennis

dennis Member

Just saw $4.14 per Gal in nw Ohio. Let the holiday weekend begin!

And the wife wont let me take the maxim on our holiday. Says I need to ride with her and the kids in the car. Bummer!!!