1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. jtrodog

jtrodog New Member

Rode her to work, checked the plugs, scratched my head, wanted to ride more, rode home.

2. Desinger_Mike

Desinger_Mike Member

I got passed by a little crotch rocket that was screaming about 13000 rpm @ 70 mph I would guess.
    I just had to show him my tail light ;) in case he didn't notice it. (no traffic around)
    For some reason he didn't pass me again?

3. justinmantell

justinmantell Member

Installed a new brake line, the old one was hanging up (bad news).
    took her for a three hour spin on some windy back roads and she purred the whole time.

4. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Fine-tuned my 900 getting it ready for the ride up to Laconia, New Hampshire for Bike Week.

Hit the oval at the FedEx Terminal near me and did laps. The landscape crew thought I was just plain nuts.
    I set-up a little Pit Area on one of the Truck Ramps and raced around the place hoping nobody would call the cops until I got the Plug Chop done.

Coming off the line it was a little "Feathery" and gargling for some Fuel ... so I added a bit of Richness to all four carbs and let her loose.
    Everything was good at Wide Open Throttle but, she missed after closing the Flys and doing heavy engine braking.

It took me a couple of reads to figure it out. But, I finally found that the One Carb was Rich and the 2,3,4 Carbs a hair Lean.
    Pit Stop.
    Adjustment.
    More performance riding around the joint ... overstaying my welcome.
    Expecting the cops to come and escourt me out of there.

No cops.
    More runs.
    I have a tuned-up 900, tonight.

Steady, strong Idle at 1,000 RPM.
    Un-freakin-bee-leeve-able Throttle response out of the hole.
    Those Polished Bores are letting those Diaphragm Pistons open and feed Main Jet Fuel without an eye-blink of hesitation.

Let go of the Throttles and the Bike don't need brakes.
    In the groove.
    MoJo, Karma and Magic all happening!

Full Zoom capabilities enabled on the XJ-900.
    Gotta hang-on when you crank it open.
    If it only had wings ... ???

5. rhys

rhys Member

What's really sad, Rick, is that I was in Billerica earlier this month and didn't have time to come out for a visit. :(

6. RickCoMatic

Well, if you get back this way ... give me a heads-up and we'll stoke-up the grill and make sausages or something and talk bikes ... or, as one guy did one time ... crashed on the couch because he'd been riding for hours and used my place as a Pit Stop.

Whatever works.

I enjoy the company every now and then.
    Folks going to Laconia this upcoming bike week are welcome to come and crash, use the shower, camp-out or whatever!

I try to keep it light around here!

7. ZaGhost

ZaGhost Member

Well, guess I have a good excuse to picuk up a tap & die set, several projects needing something now :)

8. MidniteMax

MidniteMax Member

I replaced my older Dunlop Qualifiers with Spitfires. I would have liked some BT-45s better, like I put on my son's XJ600, but already had the new Spitfires in the garage. After that, I checked the cam chain adjustment and took it for a spin. I'm recovering from a second back surgery and really shouldn't be back on the Maxim yet, but figured an 8 mile check up ride wouldn't hurt. It was so nice.

Rusty

9. rhys

rhys Member

Started re-assembly of the front end. Cleaned the insides of the fork clamps, mounted forks, wheel, front fender and front brake.

I *think* that everything is straight. Have a look at the pics marked "Reassembled" and tell me if you see anything out of whack.

650 Repair Project

I see two things that are suspicous, but I don't know if it's supposed to be like that and/or whether or not it's just an optical illusion. YOU BE THE JUDGE! ;)

Also continued scouring eBay and my parts boxes for replacements. I have everything for the headlight except for the glass and the shell. Spare mounting bracket has one ear a little bent, but I can live with that.

10. luvmy40

luvmy40 Member

Turn signals were flaking out. I thought I had a loose/broken wire, but it turned out that the switch just needed cleaned.
    Re-routed the clutch cable a bit to accommodate the new drags and wind screen.

Rusty,
    Have you run the Spitfires before? How do you like them? Do they bite in the twistys? I have a new set to put on. I wanted Diablos or Venoms but neither Pirelli or Avon sees fit to make those tires in the sizes to fit my ride!
    The rip sheet on the Spitfires reads nice but I haven't tried them on anything before.

11. stargazer

stargazer New Member

I decided to go ahead and paint the fuel tank and fenders on my recently purchased XJ. I'm using paint stripper to clean the old paint off. The bike was originally black but I am painting those 3 pieces yellow, leaving the frame, side covers, and wheels black.

Today, while the primer is drying on those 3 pieces I am going to drain the oil and rear gear grease. i am also going to remove the exhaust today so I can steel wool the down pipes. I am going with yellow header wrap on the down pipes and replacing the mufflers with a set of harley drag pipes.

Hopefully this setup will look pretty good when I am done.

12. PaulT

PaulT Member

Drained the gas tank, refilled and went for my first ride on it.
    Just picked up the bike Friday, it's an 81 550 Seca

oh, and found the best place on the web for XJs!!

13. acergremlin

acergremlin Member

Put a small wind deflector screen on, now can cruise at 70mph

14. RickCoMatic

PaulT:

Where's Wilton?
    Are you close to Nashua and the Mass Line?

I'm just over the Mass Line in Billerica, MA.

15. PaulT

PaulT Member

Hi Rick, Wilton is the next town west of Milford, right on 101.
    Grew up in Nashua, still have my house down there.

16. Ducatiman

Ducatiman New Member

cleaned mud or something out of my carbys jets and got the slides in the carby moving agen.thats all i did.

17. rpgoerlich

rpgoerlich Member

Mounted a new rear tire on the '80 XJ650 Maxim.

On the '77 XS750 gapped rings, Installed them on pistons, mounted pistons on rods, installed cylinders after honing them, installed head after lapping valves and cleaning it, installed cams /chain w/new link, verified timing, checked valve clearances.

18. RickCoMatic

rpgoerlich:

That's a fair amount of work. Sounds like you have that project well in hand.
    Take the day off and take it easy. No sense rushing a big job when the weather is good and a holiday goes with it!

19. David3aces

David3aces Member

won a new brake disc for my 26 year old seca from ebay cost me $6.00 plus $10.00 shuipping!

20. bikkerider

bikkerider New Member

Changed out my old fuse block, don't know why, I've never blown a fuse in 25 years, lol

From this:
    [​IMG]

To this:
    [​IMG]