1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How fast have you gone on your XJ?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by jon3s3y, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Fode140

Fode140 Member

With having an '81 Seca 750 before and now with an '83 Seca 750, I'm also in the 85+ category!

2. stargazer

stargazer New Member

Exactly 0 mph lol. I just got my 85 XJ700 and am still getting it road ready. As soon as I get a chance to make sure everything is good mechanically I will re-post with some numbers. I can't wait to see what it will do.

3. BlackD

BlackD New Member

I hit just over 115 on my old bike, an 86 Honda Interceptor 500. It took a little bit to get there. I'm pretty sure I won't try to go that fast again. I couldn't get the courage to go over 100 on a friends R1. The fastest on the Maxim is about 75.

4. ozxj900

ozxj900 New Member

220 km/hr and still pulling, i had to stop looking at the speedo to concentrate on the road. at a guess i would say i was doing 235/240 ks. this was on my 85 xj 900 laying on the tank with my feet on the pillion pegs. the bike seemed to do it without fuss and was rock steady all the way. its all still fresh in my mind as it was only 3 days ago.

5. luvmy40

luvmy40 Member

My 80mph+ shimmy went away when I installed a wind screen, so...
    My speedo pegs at 85mph. 5krpm in 5th is 65mph. 6krpm in 5th is 78mph=/-. the speedo pegs at almost exactly 7krpm in 5th. I had it riding smooth and solid at 8.5krpm today. Anyone want to hazzard a guess at the speed? I'm thinking somewhere between 97 and 102mph???

6. Mikko

Mikko Member

170km/h (105mph) to the speedometer, not sure how fast it really was. Done by 5th gear, couldn't go any faster with 6th :?

7. dw-satx

dw-satx New Member

Back when my Seca was new I did about 125 MPH on highway 70/82 between Las Cruces and Alamogordo in New Mexico. We were coming down the mountain and the road was nice and smooth. My buddy was on a Yamaha XS Eleven and his speedometer went a tad higher than mine. I hit a nice big dip in the road at 125, became airborne, and the Seca did a shimmy when I hit the pavement again. I immediately shut her down to clean out my shorts. 8O I've since gone much faster on other bikes, but 125 for the Seca was pretty fast.

8. blueseca

blueseca Member

i have k&n pod air filters, cut the rear baffles out of the exhaust, brand new intake ports, new wheel bearings, Castrol GTX 20w50, vacuum conect mod on the intake ports, and a blue mohawk on the helmet. other than that the engine was rebuilt and bored over by its last owner. it was on a pretty flat spot and there was no wind, being bored over and having the in and out flow and new bearings probably add up little by little

9. TheHound

TheHound Active Member

Ah, the bikes pretty much been built.
    Pods, exhaust, which means jets.
    Bored over, ported and polished, which means rings possibly pistons, nice.
    It should scream.
    :D
    I have the stock speedo 5th gear, 7K is 85.
    It might break a hundred. 8O
    Nice to know what it could do.

10. brent_bastien

brent_bastien Member

7000 at 85 is where my 650 is when you get to 8500 youll be at roughly 115
    the real power band on these bikes is between 7000 and 9000

11. TheHound

TheHound Active Member

Sweet! good to know, I didn't figure you'd get another 30mph in 1500rpm.
    Also good to know that my ride is where it should be compared to other 650's.
    So the factory spec of 120mph is attainable.
    :twisted:

12. badams201

badams201 Member

I really dont know how fast. My bike only shows 85mph, but I can burry the needle to the 6 o'clock position. It is hittin about 8100rpms, needle burried.

13. bikkerider

bikkerider New Member

Many years ago, I had my XJ750 at 11,000 rpm, I'm guessing that was pretty close to 130, YIKES!! Don't think I'll do that again.

14. lindermanjr

lindermanjr New Member

on my XJ I've only done about 50, but that's cuz I'm still working out some kinks, lol... :oops:

But on a ZX-12R I've done just a tick under 170, if my conversion is right. The friend that lent me his Ninja bought it in Canada, and I was doing about 270 km/h. Of course, that was after I brought the bike back from my first tour with it. He asked how fast I'd gone and I sheepishly shrugged and said "oh, about 100". He told me I'd never ride it again if I didn't show some moxie.

Of course, later I learned through reading that doing 170 pretty much ensured that if ANYTHING had gone wrong on that ride I would have had just enough time to blink out a morse code prayer for absolution before I would be nothing more than a bloodstained smear on the asphalt, but hey, here's to being 19 years old again right?

15. schmuckaholic

schmuckaholic Well-Known Member

My math says 168.075. ;)

Took the X into work today; first "long range" cruise I've done on it. Bopping along on the freeway at 65, and was looking to get over into the far right lane for an upcoming exit. Cars kept hopping into that lane, too close for my taste, to allow me to move over. When the third one followed suit, I said "the hell with THIS..." and cracked open the throttle. Jumped into the lane and put a bit of distance between myself and the car behind me.

Bike was handling fine. Wasn't even breathing hard. Looked down at the speedo and discovered I was doing a stately 95... 8O

16. Hyperion

Hyperion Member

zx12 should do more, my zx9 does 280 km/h
    zx12 should do a bit over 300 :twisted:
    I'm curious what the new Zx14 will do

17. ozxj900

ozxj900 New Member

i just converted mine for you guys who work in mph, 230kph = 143mph :)

18. lindermanjr

lindermanjr New Member

Completely agree Hyperion, if I recall right the ZX-12 would do a bit over 200, but then he only said to show a 'little" moxie. lol... like I said, prolly would never even think about trying that again, but that was 19 w/o kids... whole lot different mindset back then.

19. techyguru

techyguru Member

I was on a ride last sunday with a local group. We where tearing up the freeway and came to a wide long bend going up hill and looked down midway through the turn and noticed I was at 100mph with plenty of 5th gear left.

I'm more afraid of the ticket than I am of the bike not being able to do it.

20. muzungoo

muzungoo New Member

I WAS CLOCKED AT 96MPH BY THE POLICE HERE IN THE UK..IT WAS ONLY 46MPH OVER THE SPEED LIMIT ..DUNNO WHAT ALL THE FUSS WAS ABOUT..OH WELL MORE POINTS ON MY LICENSE