1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Permatex, Petcocks, and Water Pumps

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by johno8, May 30, 2008.

1. johno8

johno8 Member

Got a couple of questions for the mechanically inclined. As I haven't located a replacement water pump o-ring (the odd shaped one), I'm thinking of trying the old o-ring again plus some Permatex Water Pump stuff which takes 24 hours to set up. I don't mind the wait, but is this particular Permatex product better than their Anerobic product which is also for water pumps? I have a leak coming from the water pump and the gasket is pinched on one side so I suspect that's the leak area. Any other suggestions or advice?
    I have also ordered the petcock kit for my Maxim-X as well and ordered the fibre washers for the mounting screws. Is that all I need to do to keep gas from leaking out from the screw holes? Do I need teflon tape or any Permatex stuff on the screws as well as the washers?

2. dustball

dustball Member

I used permatex on my petcock and have no leaks.. it's been 2 months now... i put a even layer on the tank and then around the screw heads.... let it sit for 20 minutes or so... that way it's not wet and will act as a seal more than a adhesive

3. blueridge

blueridge New Member

I am an automotive mechanic by day. I can tell you from my experience that the Permatex black 16B is GOOD stuff. It would fit this application well. It also sets up faster. I often use it on coolant systems and drive the vehicle as soon as it is reassembled. If you get the black make sure it has 16B on the bottom front of the tube. I hope this helps.