1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

The dreaded oil thread for a new owner

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by wtmtdfl, May 30, 2008.

1. wtmtdfl

wtmtdfl New Member

Yes, I know the oil thread is back, but I really need to know what the group reccomends. I have a manual that says 20-40 SE but what do the sensei's of the group say. I live in N. Florida, summer is coming and I mainly commute or just putz around. I already have two weights for the BMW airheads and the XS650, so go ahead and tell me I will need a third for the 82 650 Seca, I can take it. I'm using dino in the others and don't really trust synthetics in older bikes, but I'm willing to listen to the opinons. While I'm at it, any real world reccomendations on sparkplugs?
    I gotta do some work on the Seca this week and would really like to get it right the first time.

Terry Monday
    Jacksonville, Fl
    72 XS650
    73 BMW R75/5
    78 BMW R100 SRS
    82 650 Seca

2. cycleman

cycleman Member

You really are looking for some hurt. You might want to do a search on type of oil etc on this site. There are many previous posts and each have their favourites.

I use 10-40 Mobil 1 synthetic for motorcycles. Up here its called MXT or something like that. If you go to Mobil's site you can read all about it. I've tried just about everything but find any of the 15-40 or 20-50 weight stuff that some use just causes too much clutch and starting drag. I find that the motor noise is louder with the heavier oil. Much quieter and shifts better with the synthetic. Maybe its our climate. I do recommend Motorcycle specific oil that has the JASO-MA spec. Up here many oils including Castrol Grand Prix Motorcycle oil 10-40 or 20-50 aren't labelled with the JASO-MA spec. Go figure.

As to plugs NGK either the BP7es or Iridium ones. I use the Iridium ones.

Welcome and there is lots of good info on this site.

3. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

I'm near Orlando and I would never run a 30 weight. Any name brand oil that is not an "energy efficient or friction modifier" oil will meet the requirements, this is due to the fact that we run a wet clutch, but it's good to go the extra step at least, and get a "diesel certified " oil, such as Rotella - T from Wal-Mart. Or a racing oil (DINO) such as castrol 20w50, And your top shelf oil is motorcycle specific Ams-Oil or other quality synthetics, if you can afford them.

What bad experience have you had with synthetics?

Don't use resistor plugs- - I've heard.

4. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Lets see if we can all sing the Chorus to this song:

Synths are no good for the Clutches.

Castrol 20W/50 meets or exceeds ALL requirements for a high revving inline four cylinder motorcycle with a wet clutch.

If you put synthetic in it and have Clutch trouble ... remember ... we told you NOT too!

So, don't do it.

Put 20W/50 in it and sleep well at night.

5. Jim_Vess

Jim_Vess Member

Sorry, but based on my experience with synthetic oils in everything from singles, V-Twins, and in-line fours, I disagree.

I've never had any clutch slipping with a synthetic oil, even while riding my R6 hard. With 110 hp and shifts at 11,000+ rpm, the clutch has never slipped.

I use Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10w-40 in both bikes.

NGK plugs - regular on the Seca and Iridiums on the R6 because it's a three hour job to change plugs on that bike.

6. acergremlin

acergremlin Member

I have been using 20/50 and had no problems but its was due an oil and filter change and i have just been given a 4l bottle of Shell VSX 10/40 synthetic motorcycle oil. Clutch seems ok, engine seems slightly more responsive and it holds a low idle a lot better. I have only done about 70 miles with this oil in and so far had no problems, if i have any problems oil related i will report it back and take the beating but so far very happy with it.

7. Robert

Robert Active Member

Oh, this ugly can of worms...
    "Can't we all just get along?"
    Jury is still debating this one.
    I've not used synthetics...yet. Not particularly inclined to do so yet either. Had a fellow on the forums last week with a clutch problem and it cleared up when he drained the fresh synth and used dino oil. Go figure. If you can run synthetic without problems, by all means. Just don't bother complaining later. This does not mean don't tell anyone, we still want to get the feedback on your experiences.
    Terry, I'm in southern California and I run Castrol 20/50 without problems. Weather here is warm enough to warrant the weight and for your temps right now you should be just fine. Drop to a lighter weight in the cooler weather. Avoid any oil with an API "energy conserving" rating on it. Those guidelines should help you make a good selection, dino or synth.

8. wtmtdfl

wtmtdfl New Member

Thanks for the information, it's very helpful. But when you say Castrol 20/50 do you mean the "GTX" car oil or the motorcycles specific Castroil. As for the syn oil, The BMW airhead seals will weap like a an old Harley, and the XS650 had a hard life before I got it so I think it might do the same. I do use syn oil in my car and truck though.

Terry Monday
    Jacksonville, Fl

9. Jim_Vess

Jim_Vess Member

"Just don't bother complaining later." IMO that sounds a bit condesending.

The jury is not still out on this, synthetics are fine.

Do you think Yamaha would put their name on a synthetic oil and reconmmend it for their motorcycles, if it would cause problems?

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/appar ... etail.aspx

Sounds to me like some on here are just parroting what they've heard without any real experience using synthetic oils.

Bottom-line, if you use the wrong oil (energy-conserving) whether dino or synthetic, you may get clutch slippage.

10. Old-Grunt

Old-Grunt Member

most oils that say synthetic are just basically highly refined dino oil
    to throw anouther monkey wrench in the mix the only oil I ever used that caused my clutch to slip was castrol 20-50 do i think its a bad oil because of that NO!!! I think that paticuler bike clutch didnt like that oil,I switched back to the valvaline oil that PO had always used asap and problem solved...
    I think opinions are great but realy hate seeing opinions stated as facts it can get confusing and I am seeing more and more of that on this forum..

11. RickCoMatic

Come-on!
    That's crazy.
    There's NOBODY going to buy-in to Castrol 20W/50 causing a Clutch to slip.

Castrol 20W/50 is simply the best Racing Oil that money can buy.
    You use it because you trust it's superior to other Multi-Grades in that if offers the best protection at high revs and high heat.

20W/50 is formulated to prevent Clutch slippage.

Castrol GTX is one of the world’s most trusted motor oils. It’s more than just oil. It’s liquid engineering that protects against problems, like high and low temperature wear, your engine faces every day. Why is this protection important? Because high temperature can increase stress in your oil and at low temperature some oils are not working fully. Either can reduce the ability of ordinary oils to protect against engine wear.

Castrol GTX provides superior protection for your engine:

* 50% better high and low temperature wear protection

* Superior protection against sludge build-up

* Superior protection against viscosity and thermal breakdown

* Made from premium quality base oils

* Keeps engines cool and clean

* Formulated for Motor Racing and Motorcycles with Wet-type Clutches

12. Old-Grunt

Old-Grunt Member

The XJ god has spoke all other opinions are now null and void!!!!!!

Bye Bye XJ forum I'm outa here

13. acergremlin

acergremlin Member

Rick your starting to sound like an advert

14. Jim_Vess

Jim_Vess Member

Why not? Apparently you've bought into the myth that synthetics cause clutch slippage.

In his experience he had an issue with Castrol. Why is that crazy?

We've all had a bad experience with something that others think is the best. He was just relaying his experience. There's no reason to beat him up about it.

15. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

You know, I wish someone would put a car tire on their XJ.

Over in the ventureriders.org they argue about whether using one will result in fiery death or freedom from the vultures that sell overpriced MC tires that wear out too fast.

I'm pretty tired of the oil wars.

16. spinalator

spinalator Member

I have not been part of a good oil thread in a long time! :)

*Spinalator eases back into the chair with popcorn and watches this thread with interest*

17. RickCoMatic

What do we have to do ... take a Poll of Castrol 20W/50 users and ask them all if their Clutches ever slipped using the product.

I don't think so.

I KNOW it don't cause Clutches to slip. Just like I know a lot of things I see get typed into the Forum's are wrong or bad advice.
    I try to be a voice of reason.
    I will never lead anyone astray.

There are a few that offer words of descent no matter what the topic is about.
    Every now and then, somebody gets outraged and tries to right the ship.

Based on nearly 30 Years of experience running Castrol 20W/50 in a long list of different Makes and Models ... I never once had a Oil related issue with Castrol 20~50.

I also reserve the right to be beyond skeptical of claims that anyone has after I just finish recommending it to newcomers to the Forum.

I know the score.
    I keep score.
    There are a few who lie in wait to disagree with and tell me I'm full of it.
    Too bad they haven't anything better to do.

18. Jim_Vess

Jim_Vess Member

Rick,

Your condecending "don't bother to complain" if you use a synthetic sure didn't sound like the voice of reason to me. It comes across as "use Castrol or else."

I KNOW synthetics don't cause clutch slippage. Just like you, it's based on decades of experience using them. Saying that synthetics cause clutch problems is "wrong and bad advice" and based on heresay.

Someone may have problems with Castrol and someone with synthetics, but in both cases those instances will be few and far between. It's just the randomness of life.

You're obviously a member of the Cult of Castrol. That's fine, but don't poop on others for wanting to try something else or having a negative experience with something you've recommended.

Also, you're not the only one around here with years of experience. There's a lot to learn from everyone on here.

19. Robert

Robert Active Member

You have a very good point there Jim. Yamaha should be the last word on what to put in the machines they engineer. I've nothing against using synthetics beyond price (and even that is getting less and less of an excuse).

You got me there, bad choice of words.

I do believe I qualified my position, thus no parroting is involved (at least not on my part). My synthetic education may be out of date. When I visited this issue, it was back in the early 90's and synthetics were an exotic option best left to the rich guy. From what I have heard and read (I'm not inclined to remain ignorant on topics of interest), synthetics have gotten much better and far more reliable than 20 years ago. Several of our members have passed along their positive experiences, a few negative. Coupled with research and feedback, I would not call making reference to these reports parroting. To each his own I guess.

Upon this we all would agree.
    I think we all have our ideas of what the "right" oil is and the truth, IMHO, is that there is more than one answer to this question. My feeling is that we are all trying to give Terry our best opinions (however some of us are not doing a good job of it, my apologies).

Terry, I have used the GTX oil with no problems for the last 15 years.

And Rick, I'm with Acergremlin, you sound like an advert.

20. RickCoMatic

I'm not worried about the guy who has been operating his bike wiath whatever he puts in it for months on end without so much as a hiccup of trouble.

But, when as NewBee checks-in and hears that running a Synthetic is cool ... He's liable to go out and spend some extra dough getting a Synth that's NOT rated for use in a Wet Clutch Bike.

Too easy to do!
    You cannot depend on the auto parts clerk to be fully knowledgeable of what you bike requires regarding its motor oil.

So, instead of advising the New Member to go spend money on a synthetic he does not need and should not use ... it is infinitely easier for me to recommend what I know IS good and WON'T cause a problem.