1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

85 maxim no turn signals,horn,brakelights ,HELP

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by newrider, Sep 30, 2007.

1. newrider

newrider New Member

Just purchased 1985 maxim that's been sitting a few years.Cleaned tank and carbs,runs great.Headlight,taillight,gauge lights work pefert.But no brake lights ,turn signal or horn also saftey switch in kickstand doesn't work.Checked fuses and they all are good.Where do i start checking?

2. BlueMaxim

BlueMaxim Active Member

There is a brown wire coming out of the R/R that goes first into the 15amp turn signal fuse. Everything is fed through that supply wire and fuse. If the fuse is good then check to see that the wire is good all the way to the R/R.

3. newrider

newrider New Member

Hey thanks,but i'm a little slow .When you say r/r are you meaning right rear?

4. BlueMaxim

BlueMaxim Active Member

Sorry about that, it stands for the regulator/rectifier unit.

5. schwarztrader

schwarztrader New Member

Did you ever find out what caused this to happen? The reason why I ask is because this exact same issue with my 82 XJ750J has now cropped up. I did replace my fuse box with an inline blade style but I know that there are some other wire gremlins still attacking my bike.

6. schwarztrader

schwarztrader New Member

Arrrggg.... I did fix my issue and let me tell you what I did. I did replace my fuse box with an inline blade style but I took the easy way out and just crimped on some connectors to the wire and plugged them in. I then decided to take off the crimped ends and solder the wires to the fuse box. - Volia`, everything started working correctly. Learn from my mistake - don't take the easy road, take the "right" road.