1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1982 XJ650 stock to bobber project - on a budget

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by crath, Apr 13, 2008.

1. crath

crath Member

Well let me know, I am in the market right now for another one. I already have a friend who is flashing money in my face for this XJ650. But I like it so much, I dont want to sell it until I have another one to do the same things with. I just dont want to be without an old bike now, lol. Just let me know when you are ready to get rid of it.

2. MrShake

MrShake Member

I'll start harassing my dad about the goldwing. I REALLY want it for commuting with the wife, and she'd love for me NOT to have 2 bikes.. hahaha

3. danno

danno Member

Hey,crath,too bad you're so far away from New York. I have 3 CB 450 DOHCs,and another on the way. You can find them pretty cheap around here.The last one I bought is complete and original (9,000 original miles),but has a locked up motor. Still not a bad deal for $81!

4. spinalator

spinalator Member

I am fighting the urge to be a gear-nazi (helmet, gloves, jacket)

Must-bite-tongue... :)

Good work on the bike, it must be as loud as hell in real life.

5. Gwyndwr

Gwyndwr Member

You can't help it spinalator, it's bred into you by an overzealous, totalitarian, bureaucratic government that doesn't trust its citizens to make any decisions for themselves. Now we can't even ride a pedal bike without a helmet.

It's truly sad.

And, oh yeah.... The Bike Rocks!!!

6. pygmy_goat

pygmy_goat Member

Maybe, but that doesn't make it a bad idea to wear those things. I'm sure he's talking about person-to-person advice, not extra laws.

And, person to person, if you're interested in data, check out the Hurt report. If that doesn't convince you to wear a helmet and a jacket, then nothing will. Not only are you more likely to get hurt in an accident in which you are not wearing gear, you are more likely to get into an accident in the first place.

So, Spinalator, looks like I did the ranting for you...but I will agree that we don't need more laws, we need more education.

7. collinswj

collinswj Member

<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=32.756005+-
    What are the potential problems? Does the driveshaft have to be parallel to the ground or and a certain angle? I really want to try something similar, but that's the one bit of info I need to start. :?

8. kevineleven

kevineleven Member

NO certain angle, but you dont want to lower (or raise) the bike so much that it puts the universal at too steep of a bend. They are designed to move around, but too much angle and things will bind up. Mine is lowered 3 1/2 inches and is fine. Crath says his 6inch drop is alright too. I think you'll be alright as long as you don't go crazy with youe height change, but it's something to be aware of. I thought his 6 inch drop would be pushing it, but apparently it's not.

9. collinswj

collinswj Member

<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=32.756005+-
    Thanks kevineleven, that's the exact information I was looking for. It's the little details like that can make a mod like this really good or really bad. Thanks again for the valuable info!

10. Marko

Marko Member

Gorgeous.

11. crath

crath Member

Keep in mind guys, I have only put about 600 or 700 miles on the bike at this time.

12. Ease

Ease Member

The shaft looks pretty straight in the pics... well... at least the shaft housing.

13. crath

crath Member

If it's anything like a driveshaft on a car, the main concern would be the operating angles of the u-joints. I am not sure what the maximum allowable operating angle is on a motorcycle like this. I would also be concerned about pushing or pulling the driveshaft to close or far away from the transmission output shaft. This could cause damage to the internal components of the transmission (by pushing in) or pull the driveshaft out (by pulling out).

Whether or not the driveshaft is "level" to the ground is not important

14. Ease

Ease Member

In any event, hope it all works out.
    Bike looks excellent. Would hate to see it get messed up b/c of the shaft angle.

15. 85MaximXX

85MaximXX Member

Great looking bike the only thing I can suggest is to either black out most of the motor or polish it up. Bioklean makes some nice stuff for cleaning and polishing aluminum thier polish takes almost no effort just light buffing to bring out a shine. The stuff is used more for sleds than bikes but works well.

16. crath

crath Member

I may do something like that.. black the motor out. But I am going to wait until the winter time before I tear it back down. I've been having a lot of fun riding it every day it's nice out.

I finally got my tags in today. "RELAXD".... in reference to the car club I am in - ///Relaxed Atmosphere.

[​IMG]

And another pic from the Eat Rite in just on the edge of down town St. Louis.

[​IMG]

17. eflat7

eflat7 Member

Man, that's one of the hottest xj's i've ever seen.... period!

Your bike motivated me to buy a 650. I am working on the frame now.

Here is my progress page.

http://www.bobbyhancock.com/Wilma

My site is simple, just like I want my bike. Chacal is hooking me up with tons of parts, he is a killer person to work with!

More to come!

18. gunnabuild1

gunnabuild1 Member

Mate as a visual statement that bike looks great but with those pipes I'm so glad I'm not your neighbour.But she really does look good.

19. crath

crath Member

haha, that's funny you say that. All my neighbors complain all the time!!

20. partagas

partagas New Member

I have the same bike. And I have two questions. That have not been asked yet.
    1) how long did it take?
    2) what was the cost? You say budget, but that could mean a lot of things.