1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Title transfer in FL, problem

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Sbmaxim, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Sbmaxim

Sbmaxim Member

I sold my bike to a person in FL, and it seems there is some sort of transfer problem. Apparently in FL when you goto get new tags, some has to verify the serial numbers on the bike and title, if it is from out of state. From what I understand the last number on the bike is messed up, so it can't be verified, and they will not allow tags to be put on the bike. Anyone know of how to fix this, is there another number that can be looked at? I had no problems getting tags on it here.

2. David3aces

David3aces Member

As long as the engine number matches the last of the VIN number i would try again and ask the supervisor to look at the bike and check both numbers. They seem to be helpful when I was there last.

3. Sbmaxim

Sbmaxim Member

Engine numbers will not match because I swapped out engines. What should I do about that?

4. Sbmaxim

Sbmaxim Member

Ok, now I know what the deal is. I guess the vin # is on a plastic sticker on the forks. My cables rubbed the numbers in the middle, so the cop said it can't be verified basically. Aren't the vin numbers etched into the metal? I can't believe that they would try to use a 25 year old sticker... Is it possible the op might just be looking at the wrong thing?

5. miksatx

miksatx Member

hummm my bike has the # stamped in the metal on the right side of the fork head(not sure if thats whats it's called) i would think yours is stamped there also. i would think that if the title matchs the stamp and you have a recipt for the purchase of the motor there shouldn't be a problem.
    [​IMG]

6. Sbmaxim

Sbmaxim Member

I think the cop is looking at the wrong thing. From what I understand he is checking a sticker, not a metal stamp. As far as the motor goes, I got it off ebay, I could print a receipt through paypal or something I think, been a year now, though from what I have read the motor being changed is somewhat common and they don't check it.

7. miksatx

miksatx Member

lol have the guy that bought it check for the stamped # if they are there have him make sure the title vehicle id number is the same on the title. maybe have him run down to a yamaha shop and have something wrote up that verifies the location of the vehicle id #.

8. Jim_Vess

Jim_Vess Member

The VIN is stamped on the frame on the right side of the steering head.

It's in the same place on every Yamaha I've ever owned.

9. Sbmaxim

Sbmaxim Member

Yeah, it was just a dumb cop who didn't want to listen to a lady or be very helpful when he was wrong. He was too busy eye balling the rubbed sticker to pay any attention to the stamped engraving. All settled now, had to call another cop out to check it. Wonder how this guy can even get by without knowing where a vin is. That's part of his job recovering stolen vehicles...

10. miksatx

miksatx Member

lol kinda figured that was the case.

11. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

The thing that confuses some "officials" in both the PD and licensing, tag-title, registration departments is that the number STAMPED onto the steering beaing neck (as pictured above) does NOT match the VIN (sorta) on many pre-83 models.

The full VIN is 17 characters. The stamped number on the frame tube and on the engine case is a "mini-VIN" which actually contains all of the needed , useful info, but it's a truncated version of the full VIN. The Feds let the Japanese manufacturers "slide" on this issue for a few years and gave them time to "fix" the problem via the use of the printed, paper tag/decal on the left side of the steering neck.........unfortunately, since it is a paper tag (decal), it can be removed or torn or the characters can be defaced, etc.

The full VIN for all 1981-up bikes will be in the full 17-position form. Using the photo example above, the truncated VIN is 4H7-104910.

The FULL VIN for that bike (and what will be printed on the paper tag, and the vehicle title) is (or should be):

JYA4H700?BA104910

where the ? represents a mathematically calculated "check digit" that insures that all of the other characters and numbers make up a "real" VIN code.

By the way, you can go here:

www.kerrywilson.com/vin.htm

and it describes the procedure for determining what that check digit is and how to calculate it.

By the way, for the 4H7-104910 model photgraphed above, it is the 4,810th 1981 XJ650 Maxim model made for the USA market in 1981...Yamha started their serial-number (104910) range with the number 100100 in 1981. The "4H7" code indicates it is an XJ650 Maxim, and by knowing which range of numbers was used in each year, you can back into the model year (1981)................

In the full 17-digit VIN, the model year is designated by the letter "B" (just after the check-digit question mark). A 1982 model would use the letter C, a 1983 model the letter D, etc.

That's why the 4H7-104910 number is a "truncated" VIN number---all of the important information is there, it just takes a little bit of extra knowledge to extract the details.

12. jriebe

jriebe Member

Alright then Chacal...I have a doosie for you then...

The number stamped on the neck of my frame is:

15R-009518

...the bike is a 1982 model per the tag and it looks exactly like a Maxim...the motor in the thing has the serial number of:

5N8-008681...

Any ideas?

The PO didn't know of any motor swap but...?

13. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Well, I do love a challenge!

For the engine 5N8-008681: the 5N8 code indicates that it is a 1982-84 XJ650 Maxim model for the USA, and since the 1982 serial number range starts at 000101, and the 1983 serial number range starts at 050101, then we know that the engine comes from a 1982 XJ650 Maxim (the 8,580th one made for USA distribution in 1982, for that matter). The engine should be inspected carefully to verify this; it should have the 653cc (??) marking on the cylinder jugs (front and center) and the carbs---if they are the correct, unmodified carbs for the engine---should have #110 main fuel jets, Y-10 main jet needles, and #205 pilot air jets (those are the main distinguishing features on how you can tell '82-3 XJ650 Maxim Hitachi carbs from any other model/year of Hitachi carbs). The bottom of one (or more) of the carb bowls should also have black stencilled letter (if they are the original bowls, and if the stencilled ink lettering has not been wiped off, which is easy to do with carb cleaner) should have a series of numbers, letters, among which should be 5N800 HSC32 etc, etc.

The full serial number of the bike that this engine came out of should therefore be JYA5N800?CA008681, a 1982 XJ650 Maxim model, where the ? is the calculated check digit, and I'm just too lazy to go and calculate it right now!

The bike itself 15R-009518: well, it's a 1982 XJ750 Maxim, USA model, the 9,417th XJ750 Maxim built for the USA marketplace in that year.

Thus the full serial number of your bike---that this engine is now in---should therefore be JYA15R00?CA009518, a 1982 XJ750 Maxim model, where the ? is the calculated check digit, and again, I'm still too lazy to go and calculate it right now!

How'd I do? :D

14. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

15. jriebe

jriebe Member

Right on man...

I did the calculations and it turns out just like you said...I now have a modified 1982 650 motor in a 1982 750 frame...Po must have switched the motor out...

Sorry to hijack the thread guys...

Chacal: Thanks for the help...you saved my bacon...now onto the MVD to hope they don't pay too close attention...

Semper Fi,

Jon