1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Something weird with cylinders

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by dustball, Jun 12, 2008.

1. dustball

dustball Member

Problem is 2 and 3.... wouldn't fire.. so i switched out the spark plugs... no avail.. then i switched out the coils... ran fine for about 100 miles... 2 and 3 wouldn't fire... swithced out the cdi... and coils again.. ran fine for 100 miles.. now 2 and 3 won't fire... carbs are cleaned.. ohmed out everything... good..

2. wizard

wizard Active Member

have you cleaned the earth wires to the coils?

3. Robert

Robert Active Member

You may also want to check your wiring from the pick-up coils to the TCI and from there to the ignition coils. You should also open up your TCI and check the circuit runs. They can and do crack. Repair any discrepancies you find. If you are not sure how to do this, let us know.

4. dustball

dustball Member

thx.. I just had this problem before and changed out the pick up coils with the wiring.. I'll try my grounds and clean them

5. dustball

dustball Member

GOT IT!!!!!! I was wondering what was up... there was a small amount of paint where the coil fits to the frame.. also the cdi and all the connections had small amounts of green corrosion on them... I cleaned it all up with an acid brush and isopropyl alcohol and viola!! Fires up.. hopefully for good this time... it always seems when it got warmed up after a ride then it would cut out