1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ 650 Cafe Project Q's?

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by XJlindy, Jan 27, 2008.

1. XJlindy

XJlindy New Member

Hey, I have an 82 XJ 650 I wanna turn into a cafe racer, but my question is, where do I start? I know to get rearsets, custom seat, but that's all I know about it. I want this thing to look real nice, and I think a cherry red with a gloss coat would look nice. Drag bars or clip ons? Any input would be appreciated before I tear her down.
    Thanks

2. yamaha.xj.manuals

yamaha.xj.manuals New Member

I sent some info at your PM Box

3. crewwolfy

crewwolfy Member

I actually like seeing advice posted here. Everyone has different desires for the final outcome, so there's obviously no one right answer. But it'd be nice to hear the thought process from some of those that have cafe'd out a bike.

4. bluzglide

bluzglide Member

Personally I would keep the stock bars, or go with some flat drag bars. I wouldn't use clip-ons for a cafe racer. Definatley go with the red, or a goodwood green (British racing green). The rearsets also, to me, aren't needed. But then...I like the older British cafe racing styling.

Dave

5. yamyboy

yamyboy Member

Im custom fiting a ducati 916 carbofiber solo seat with a 750 maxum tank a set of Piaa P1 lights rear sets and an 84 Seca 650 turbo in an 81 650 maxum frame. I had a baby girl 3 year ago so things are going real slow < colage isnt cheep now i hate 2 think what it will be in 18 year>. Do what you want and let no one can tell you its wroung if it your creation.Anything can be done just think outside the box and do what comes Iv changed my mind alot and will a lot more befor its done. Good luck and happy fabricating.

6. Ease

Ease Member

Hey XJLindy, I've made a few posts abot this before so my opinion is out there :D.

If you're looking for a good start a set of clubmans or clipon's is a great first move... Easy swap and instant gratification!

Clubmans would be the easiest mod, in comparison to clipon's / rearsets / seat... and cheapest.

Combine that with getting rid of some of the bulky parts like the turn signals (or getting smaller ones), grab bars, rear inner fender (it unbolts at the crossmember for a seca - but requires some modification to attach the taillight / licenceplate).

My seca, early progress (Just Clubmans):
    [​IMG]

7. Ease

Ease Member

After a few more mods:

[​IMG]

Clipon's instead of clubmans (and the R6 MC I needed in order to install):

[​IMG]

As you can see the clipon's are closer to drag bars than the clubmans were. But they're more adjustabe so you can put em about anywhere you want (with some clearence issues with the tank, however). How I have them now I can go lock to lock without hitting the tank.

8. baz666

baz666 Member

I used to have a headlight fairing from a BMW R90 that really looked the dog's but some a-hole backed into my parked bike, knocked it over and the fairing was smashed. Now Fonz has very kindly sent me a Seca 550 fairing that I'm going to try on my cafe'd 81 XJ650 Maxim. Should work out well I think.
    The first things I did to cafe my 81 650 Maxim was to put on a pair of relatively flat bars. Those stock buckhorn bars not only look bad, they don't give you great control. Then I shaved down that ridiculous choppersque Gunfighter and Lady stepped seat. I shaved it down so that rear rises up just a tad. I also removed those ridiculously huge signal lightsw and used mini-stalk lights on either side of the headlight. You use the lights and their bolts just like the bolts that hold the headlight bucket to the headlight bracket. For the rear, I saved the guts from the stock lights then used a pair of cone shaped, amber colored RV corner lights and fabricated a couple of brackets. That brought the rear signal lights in tight, so they're just outside either side of the seat. Looks much better than those bloody catamaran signal light stocks. I've done the same thing with my XJ900.
    thx,
    baz

9. XJlindy

XJlindy New Member

Wow, I love how it looks with clip ons. Yea, I've decided to keep the Seca stock and turn an xs 750 triple I have into a cafe racer. The only problem is it's a special :( But, new tank, and we should be good to go!

10. ZaGhost

ZaGhost Member

Ease : You had to bring the top of the forks up through the tree to install the clip ons right? How did it effect the handling?

11. Bane

Bane Member

I chose to use straight broomstick style drag bars. Love the look but takes a lil while to get used to. Required no mods and I found that cruiser grips really make the look for me. Good luck, hope to see some ics.

12. Ease

Ease Member

I have been riding with the forks pushed up about half that distance for the past season and it has had either no effect or slightly better.

I may have been able to mount the clip-on's below the tree, but I think that would either cause them to hit the tank, or to be too straight out, I'll try this out later if I find the handling is changed for the worse.

So to answer your question I haven't been riding the bike since I lowered it the extra 1/2 inch... but I don't predict a huge problem based on the fact that:
    A. I lowered the front end 1/2 inch last season with no problems and;
    B. I have the rear lowered an inch as well.

13. ZaGhost

ZaGhost Member

Thanks.. I was wondering.. when I got my XS the forks were up through the tree 3-4 inches....reset it to stock, never tried it that way.
    Otherwise, I like how clean the clip-ons look.... and I may need a new master cylinder anyways..soooo :)
    Depends on the rest of the spring budget I guess hehe

14. firebird_cg69

firebird_cg69 New Member

hey xjlindy does your first name just so happen to be andy??? las name lindstrom etc.???

15. gunnabuild1

gunnabuild1 Member

Ease that is one seriously clean looking bike,very, very tidy.
    Glenn.

16. RevsXJ650

RevsXJ650 New Member

Hey all, first post, just wanted to know if someone can post up parts they used and where they got them form. I've onwed a 1981 xj650 for 3 years now and I want to make it nice again, because it's a great bike!! Please let me know where you got your wonderful parts.

Thanks Rev

17. Ease

Ease Member

Thanks Glenn!

Try taking a look through my project thread, should say where I got alot of my parts.

Welcome to the site and good luck!

18. seankuykendall

seankuykendall New Member

Hey! Awesome Ride! Where did you get the chrome clamp cover? Can't find one anywhere. Thanks!

19. thorin

thorin Member

your bike is beautiful! great job, i just watched an episode of cafe racer today and your bike could've been on it.
    wow, the success of your transformation is in the fact that without the logos on the engine covers (something i'm trying to swap out to plain), no one would know it's a yamaha. and no, i'm not saying i'm embarrassed about owning a yamaha, i'm just sayin'.......