1. Some members were not receiving emails sent from XJbikes.com. For example: "Forgot your password?" function to reset your password would not send email to some members. I believe this has been resolved now. Please use "Contact Us" form (see page footer link) if you still have email issues. SnoSheriff

    Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Where can I find a front brake light switch?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by K9Biker, Jun 18, 2008.

  1. K9Biker

    K9Biker Member

    Messages:
    38
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    6
    Location:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Hey, I'm new here. I have an '85 XJ700X Maxim X that I just purchased. It's the first bike I've ever owned, and I haven't rode since I was a kid, so I don't know a lot about the mechanics of bikes yet. However, I am mechanically inclined, and learn fast.

    The bike has a few problems that I have recently noticed. One being that the brake light does not come on when I brake. My buddy, whom has rode bikes his whole life, says it's probably a bad switch. The problem is that I can't seem to find one online anywhere. I have found plenty of switches for the rear brake, but having no luck finding them for the front.

    Any ideas as to where I can get one? Are these kind of switches universal, or do I have to find one specific to my model of bike? Also, how much do the cost?

    Thanks.
     
  2. simona

    simona Member

    Messages:
    80
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    6
    Location:
    Toronto
    If Chacal cant help then there is fleabay of course, lots of other vendors on line as well like oldbikebarn.com or cheapcycleparts.com - its not a very complicated part, On/Off and thats mostly it, so other brake levers from other xj s might work if the connector is the same.
     
  3. chacal

    chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

    Messages:
    9,391
    Likes Received:
    2,092
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    The room where it happened
    Well of course I can help!:


    Front Master Cylinder Brake Light Switches:

    NOTE: removing these switches from the housing seems like a trick Chinese puzzle, until you figure it out.....there is small, round hole (about 2mm diameter) on the forward side of the housing where this switch plugs in. Using a small screwdriver or other such object, gently push in through this hole onto the plastic "tooth" that is part of the switch housing, while also pulling back on the switch. Releasing this ratchet tooth will release the switch from the housing, and out it comes!


    HCP442 OEM front master cylinder Brake Light Switch,, complete with lead harness. This small black plastic cylinder plunger switch snaps into the master cylinder housing and includes the correctly colored wire harness leads and connector. For the following models: XJ700 all models.
    $ 14.00
     
  4. K9Biker

    K9Biker Member

    Messages:
    38
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    6
    Location:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Thanks Chacal, your help is very much appreciated. And thanks for the note about removing the switch, you probably just saved me a lot of frustration!
     

Share This Page