1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Advice on removing front pipe bolts?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by maz43, Jun 19, 2008.

1. maz43

maz43 Member

I have a excellent condition stock exhaust coming from flea bay in a week.
    Besides using a good 6 point socket, a few days worth of penetrating oil and maybe a propane torch, and tapping on the socket with a hammer while loading it, is there any other ideas to keep from breaking those studs off in the motor?

2. corner27

corner27 Member

I'm not sure how your bolts are, but mine you can either use a socket, or a hex key. I used the hex key, and had no problems getting them off.

3. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

I don't even chance it.
    I use a wafer cut-off wheel on my Dremel Tool and make a slanted cut across the body of the nut.

Then, I spread the nut with a chisel or a big screwdriver and break the nut off the stud.
    Even if you cut all the way through the nut, as long as you slant the cut you don't have to worry about the threads on the stud if the cut-off wheel takes some of the stock out.

The problem you face is that the Stud is SOFT Steel. The Stud will act as if its giving-up and turning-out when its actually twisting until it reaches the breaking point.

Since "The Fix" is a complicated affair of having to drill-out a remnant ... I don't even give myself the chance of having one break-off and then needing to remove the Head to be able to drill-out the fragment.

A small cut, on a bias, across the whole nut, will enable you to spread or break-off the frozen nut without angst.

4. Dispatcher

Dispatcher Member

I agree to be prepared for the worst, but mine came off rather easily. Also, when you replace your exhaust gaskets, you'll notice that the nuts won't seat as deeply as previously (when the old gaskets were compressed already). Don't overtighten those nuts! Get them snug, and as the gasket compresses (check the nuts every ride or 2) you'll be able to tighten them down some more.