1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Antidive question

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by cole9900, Jun 20, 2008.

1. cole9900

cole9900 Member

I need to replace the dust seals on the Seca I just got and will need to pull the forks to do it. Is there a way this can be done without having to crack open the hydraulics? On my Maxim, you just pull the calipers and the wheel and your in business. Doesn't look that simple with the Anti-dive connection. I really do not want to have to bleed the brake system to do this. Thanks in advance.

2. Dunnie

Dunnie New Member

Hello cole9900,

I believe you can split the unit in two leaving the brake line attached to the upper half. I haven't tryied it yet but it sounds right.

Dunnie

3. Robert

Robert Active Member

You can displace the calipers but you will need to leave the brake lines intact. Not a problem.

4. cole9900

cole9900 Member

I'm going to have to read up on this anti-dive system. Not sure I understand how it works (if it does). I'm assuming that, as you apply the front brake, valving in the botom of the fork is effected. I also assume that, if you remove the anti-dive unit from the fork, but leave the brake caliper connections intact (as recommended above), you lose fork oil but not brake fluid. I sure hope that is the case.

5. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

That is almost the case. The hydraulic system is closed off from the fork oil and has a plunger that impinges on the anti-dive valve. There's a bolt that holds the two systems together. Remove that and the forks will come away from the brake system. The fork system is also closed at that point. Separating the two will not result in any fluid loss. Unless something is wrong.
    :twisted: