1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

First post

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by toastturbo, Jun 29, 2008.

1. toastturbo

toastturbo New Member

Been sucking up this sites electrical know how for a few months. Just joined up and have spent hours ?, trying to get a pic be my avatar. Sorry didn't find any help on my searches. Tried flicker and some free software I could do 90 by 90 pixels but couldn't go under 23 k without the picture being to blurry. Little help please. XJ,er since 1980.

2. wizard

wizard Active Member

hi, go to forum index- suggestion box- how to resize your photos, i used the GIMP, works great. wiz.

3. toastturbo

toastturbo New Member

Thanks wiz. an hour of clicking got me this.

4. Pacocase

Pacocase Member

Hi and welcome. It took me a long time with Photoshop to get mine done. You just have to really degrade the quality and forget about any good detail.

5. Gamuru

Gamuru Guest

Your avatar doesn't look bad from here.

And welcome!

6. toastturbo

toastturbo New Member

Thanks for the welcome. I've brought this bike back from the dead since last summer. I've spent alot of time, and more money than anyone but an original owner would. Most of the upgrades are done and it runs like new, I think, it's been a long time! It only came out once a year for many years, ran like crap, back to the shed. Even took it to the dealer once. Turbo bad they don't make em anymore. No charge. The electrical downloads have been priceless. Just this week I got my charging system to specs. Now I'm checking all the posts to head off any future problems. Ken

7. Gamuru

Gamuru Guest

If you haven't, two upgrades that are highly recommended are to replace the stock fuse block and install an inline fuel filter. See the link in my sig for How-Tos on both.

On another note. To those creating avatars that have issues with size, try matting the background to a flat color. When you have multicolored backgrounds, it requires more bits to save the information due to the compression algorithm. If it's just one color, compression says, "use this same color until I say stop." Here's an example...

[​IMG]
    File size is listed at 2,716 bytes.

and with a matte background
    [​IMG]
    File size is listed at 1,489 bytes (with 30% compression).

Hope this helps.

(And, yes, toastturbo, if you want to use the matted image for your avatar you can. :wink: )

8. toastturbo

toastturbo New Member

Done. Put an inline in after I pulled my petcock and the 2 filters were gone. Found one in the tank but it wouldn't stay put. Put some covered mini blade fuse holders in also. Only thing left is tapered bearings, which I had in 20 years ago. I pulled them after a tank slapping wobble developed, if you let go of the bar. The upper race never seemed to fit right I believe. As for the avatar if I change you wouldn't be able to see the great composition and time of year I got my bike. Spring, I think that's a Indian reservation in ND and if you look real close there is still ice on the water. :D