1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Windshield

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by country0917, Jun 29, 2008.

1. country0917

country0917 New Member

I have an 82 750 maxim. what is a good windshield that works. jcwhitney has some but they all say there for round handbars and mine are square. Does everyone bikes run slugish at low speeds when cold?

2. bstig60

bstig60 Member

Sluggish? Please define...... Try www.rifle.com / I suspect you can get a bracket to fit the square bars.

3. Marine36

Marine36 Member

I bought a windshield from DennisKirk.com that is made by slip streamer.
    I also bought a set of square bar adapters all for around $150. The square bar adapters screw in where the mirrors do then the mirrors screw into them.

4. country0917

country0917 New Member

from 0-30 it runs ruf, like it wants to die. I usually us the choke for the first five mile at low speeds or when i stop. then it runs great and idles, after it is warm.

5. bstig60

bstig60 Member

I never use my choke for more than a couple of minutes during warm up on cold mornings. This time of year, I don't use it at all. Might check your plugs to see if you are running lean, sounds like it isn't getting enough fuel at low speeds which could be the pilot circuit. Have you rebuilt the Carbs?

6. country0917

country0917 New Member

I have redone the carbs a few times. they are clean now and I just turned out the mixture screw to 3 turns out, they were all over the place. I dont know what the pilot circuit is. The onle other thing is the back firing when slowing down.

7. luvmy40

luvmy40 Member

+1 on Slip Streamer from Dennis Kirk.
    I have the Hell Fire on my Seca (round bars but the square adapters are available). Free shipping on orders over $100.00 fr DK I would recommend the Spirit for the Maxim.
    [​IMG]

8. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

Country 0917 - - There are some very detailed carb cleaning write-ups in the archives. . . did you run a fine wire thru the hidden jet in the carb bowl? The brass tube that projects into this well must be probed with a wire. Mine were plugged. This is the beginning of the pilot circuit.
    Search topics: carb cleaning author: Rick Massey

9. bstig60

bstig60 Member

The pilot circuit includes the bowl jet TimetoRide is speaking of and the pilot jet, which is a small jet next to the main jet and the pilot screw. There is an O ring on the pilot screw that keeps the circuit for sucking air from the outside world. These get busted, just old and can cause a lean conditions, that could be what the backfiring on deceleration is caused by. The pilot circuit controls the fuel flow to about 1500 RPM's or so. If you have something plugged it won't want to idle because it is running too lean at low RPM. Sounds like something plugged or a vacuum leak somewhere.

10. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

To get the full enjoyment out of your Bike ... learn what the Pilot Mixture Screws do and how to adjust them.

Basically, the Pilot Mixture is the Air and Fuel your Bike need to Idle with the Throttles closed.
    The Pilot Mixture Screw is an adjustable Needle Jet that regulates Air being drawn into the Combustion Chamber through a tiny hole ahead of the Throttle Plate.

Since the Pilot Mixture Screw's Air Passage is connected to the Pilot Fuel Jet's Fuel Passage ... as you OPEN the Screw to allow more Air to enter ... the moving air sucks Fuel up from the Pilot Jet to accompany it into the Engine.

How much the opening is opened or closed regulates the flow of air and fuel into the engine.
    The Pilot Mixture Screw extends through a tiny O-ring.
    As the taper of the end of the Pilot Mixture Screw clears the O-ring more Air (with fuel) will enter the Engine.
    This supply is constant.
    The Needle-end is shouldered.
    Regulating how much of the shouldered end allowing Air and Fuel to the Engine is regulated by turning the Screw IN or OUT.

The Pilot Mixture is BEST when it is regulated to allow enough Fuel and Air to enter the Engine to support a steady Idle ...

PLUS ... an additional amount of Fuel to support Ignition at the very moment the throttles are opened and the in-rush of fresh air is without the Main Jet Supply for the brief moment that it takes for the Diaphragm Pistons to rise allowing Main Jet Supplied Fuel to be drawn-in to the Intake Air.

11. cheezehead

cheezehead New Member

i have the memphis shades vera cruz. it's tall, and wide. it offers the most protection that i've tried. it has very strong mounting hardware. i have taken it off, now that the weather is nice.

12. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

I run the SlipStreamer Hellfire Sport on my Maxim.

You can ride all day and not get fatigued by the wind hitting you in the chest.
    It does make you ride faster without thinking.
    With no wind on you ... you tend to add some speed to your cruising.

Installation was a breeze and the thing comes off if you don't want it on there ... but, I have never taken it off since the first day it went on!

13. Desinger_Mike

Desinger_Mike Member

I'm using a National Cycle Street Shield EX on my Maxim X

I trimmed it on the bottom just a bit so it would sit down between the signal lights, but I really like it.
    The little extra width and height really seem to make a difference on the highway.
    The only minor problem is on cool mornings my helmet wants to fog up with the shield all the way down. The windshield blocks the wind too much and there seems to be a little vacuum area just infront of my face. The vent on the bottom of the helmet doesnt get any air into it to keep the face shield clear so I'm either holding my breath for 30 minutes or crack the faceshield one notch.
    If I stand up 3 inches, it clears instantly but that gets old.