1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Front part 2

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by snypr, Jan 19, 2006.

1. snypr

snypr New Member

Im having troulbe with the speedometre on my bike. Long story short, was told it needed a new cable, got it, didnt fix the problem (jumping needle).
    Got another dash from the states becasue the internal gears in the orginal were worn, still have the same problem.

Do the internal gears from the other XJs fit into the dash of the turbo?

2. BlueMaxim

BlueMaxim Active Member

I had a similar problem on my bike. Speedo didn't work for years. When I replaced the front wheel bearings and regreased the speedo gear and dog the speedo worked. Been working for the last 6k miles. Worth a try to just regrease the speedo gear. Of course you can replace the bearings if you want!

3. snypr

snypr New Member

Thanks Blue. We did pull the speedo gear from 2 bikes and found the one on the original bike to be the the best. Seeing as the problem is the same, even when l have changed the dash boards, maybe the problem is in the wheel.

After removing the speedo gear, l greased the gear again but just with some grease that was laying around. lm guessing this grease would be thick. Should the grease be fairly light? l have read in another thread that the grease should'nt be too heavy.

4. RyanfromOhio

RyanfromOhio Member

Use the white lithium grease for most applications.

5. BlueMaxim

BlueMaxim Active Member

White lithium is great. I use a reddish bearing grease with an EP rating. EP meaning Extreme Pressure. Let us know if this works! :)