1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Question about a bike

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by colen75, May 29, 2006.

1. colen75

colen75 Member

I found a 1984 mabey a 86 not sure, but it is a FZ700 yamaha, can anyone give some input about this bike? it needs some work but I can pick it up for 100 bucks, I have'nt seen it yet but I guess it runs but just needs some cosmetics. Thanks..

2. Joel07

Joel07 Member

Definetly pick it up!! The FZ700 (Fazer) had the same motor as the Maxim X, which is the first of the "Genesis" Yamaha motors. They are water-cooled, 5 valve per cylinder motors, and the basic design is still used today. Very sporty bikes, the styling was love-it or hate-it (I love it!), and a very stout motor. Good luck with it!

3. colen75

colen75 Member

I went and picked it up yesterday. Motor runs real good 20k miles on it but it was was wreaked and has alot of broken plastic on it, you were right the thing is real fast and sporty looking. Just have to get some body parts and It'll be ready to go it is a 86.

4. Joel07

Joel07 Member

Awesome man, hang on to it, they're pretty rare bikes. Good luck finding the plastics for it, might just have to go custom street-fighter style on it! :wink:

5. richard03

richard03 Member

From what I understand, the top head (valving) is the same as the X, but the stroke and bore are different... Thats me, just being picky. Correct me if I am wrong. If that is true, I would love to pick up a FZ! Would be cool to be able to swap motors if need be.

6. Joel07

Joel07 Member

I guess I should have said same "style" motor. :lol:

I'm not sure on the bore/stroke issue, I did a quick google search and came up empty handed. Also, I believe the Fazers were chain, rather than shaft driven, and I thought I remembered them having an early version of the newer style stacked gearbox. The motor is also leaned at a much more aggressive angle than the Maxim's. I would venture to say that a swap would be out of the question. Sorry for the confusion, I'm definetly not an expert on these things! :D

7. colen75

colen75 Member

The bike is chain driven and also water cooled the motor does look a litlle differnt than a maxim I will post some pics soon,

8. richard03

richard03 Member

That sounds like a good bike. I would be interested to know how the ergonomics are?

9. colen75

colen75 Member

[​IMG]

I have it all tore down, I found all the body parts to fix it at a local salvage but they want 400 for all parts Mabey Next Payday...

But it should look like this when done
    [​IMG]

10. Joel07

Joel07 Member

That's definetly a newer model, when you said FZ700, this is what I was thinking of:

[​IMG]

Kinda like a mini V-max, eh? Yours is probably an '87 or newer I would guess. If it were mine, I'd say screw all that stock body-work, go street fighter style!! :D

Nice bike though, and you definetly came out on the good end of that deal!!

11. colen75

colen75 Member

it may be a 87 I'M STILL LEARNING, THE GUY i GOT IT FROM DID,NT KNOW A THING ABOUT IT..

12. robista361

robista361 Member

I had a fazer just like that one on the bottom. I should of held on to it. The bike on top is an fz 700. The fz 700 came out in late 86 as an 87 and succeeded the original 85 fz 750, of which had a longer stroke and larger bore. The pic on the bottom is indeed an 86 fzx fazer 700 (europe got the 750) which basically shared the same motor with fz genisis motor which had the EXUP" power valve". The 85 and 86 maxim x only shared the 20 valve head configuration and had the same bottom as the 650 maxim before it. The maxim x did not have a genisis design because the carbs were not of the angled down draft design, and the engine wasnt canted forward as found on the fz, and fzx fazers. All of these are very rare awesome bikes that were way ahead of there time in design. If you got one hold onto it or sell it to me really cheap!

13. Robert

Robert Active Member

You sure it isn't the FZR. Your score looks exactly like my 90, I even run it without the front plastic. Dead ringers.

14. robista361

robista361 Member

No, that is an fz for sure, the fzr 750s came out in 88 as revenge tool to go against suzukis gsx-r 750. The fzr in the beginning was pretty much a race only machine and in 89 and 90 they were priced a little better for street goers, but still very expensive in that time era.

15. Joel07

Joel07 Member

Couldn't have been the exact same bottom end, since it's water cooled! :wink: I know, what a nitpicker I am!

16. robista361

robista361 Member

ok joel, it was the same as the 650, but modified to support the liquid cooling. Nice catch ! you nit pick :lol:

17. phred

phred Member

I owned a Fazer.
    The Fazer was actually the FZX700, not the FZ700.
    The FZ700 was the precurser to the FZR750, and the Fazer and the FZ were available for the same years.
    The Fazer motor is not the exact same as the FZ, it was cammed for better low-end torque and had a slightly lower red-line. I am quite certain the cams were different.
    They were 700 instead of 750 's to beat some tariff.
    I no longer have the Clymers for it, or I would look it up for you.

18. robista361

robista361 Member

yeah , your right about the tariff beating 700 fzx fazer being slightly detuned for more mid range power, but it still used the same basic mill as the fz750 and fz700. The fzx fazer did come in a 750 version in other countries just like the maxim x did. All I know is I really miss my fazer, and wish to hell I never got rid of it! It was a real diamond and a real fun bike as well. Do you miss yours Phred?

19. 82secaturbo

82secaturbo Member

The Maxim X bottom end and XJ bottom ends are near identical as far as crank, rods and pistons. The FZ crank and rods are the same? I think? The pistons are vastly different. The Maxim X had taller height pistons compared to the FZ due to the 14degree cant of the Maxim motor which lowered the compression height in the motor. The taller, heavier pistons lowered the redline from 11000 rpm in the FZ750/700 to 10000rpm in the Maxim X.

There is a fella' on www.turbomotorcycles.org that has did a turbo hybrid of the Maxim x and XJ motors.

20. MacMcMacmac

MacMcMacmac Member

1987 was the final year for the FZ and the only year it had a full fairing.