1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Green light trigger

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by TheHound, Jul 1, 2008.

1. TheHound

TheHound Active Member

2. PaintIt(Flat)Black

PaintIt(Flat)Black Member

I don't know about NY but in Mass these are definitely illegal, some cops have something like these so that the other lights turn red... Not that a cop will find them on your bike easy but if they do that's big trouble.

3. Hyperion

Hyperion Member

this aint illigal... its not a device...

this thing only triggers the induction coils that are in the road surface.

The XJ's don't need thm, they are loaded with metals and will trigger the coils anyways.

Like the site mentioned: new bikes made with aluminium frames have a lack of inductivity to triggre the coils when they are not callibrated accuratly.

With my kawasaki ZX9 i have had some problems with that.

I don't think police do use devices to change trafic lights... they should apply a radio frequency receivers in every control cabinet... that would get expensive...

4. ddibling

ddibling Member

I've got one, but I haven't put it on my bike yet. Of course, it's not running at the moment! I would have to disagree with Hyperion, though. I've sat at lights before with no car behind me and the light refused to turn. I've actually had to run red lights because of this problem. Anyway, I'm hoping that the green light trigger will do the trick!

Dean

5. PaintIt(Flat)Black

PaintIt(Flat)Black Member

I Guess if it does not change the light right away then its ok.

Not all lights have the the triggers in it a cop can use. But usually if there are some big main streets in your town they will all have them.so the cop can trigger those so that crossing traffic is red lights and he wont have to slow down as much.

6. Gamuru

Gamuru Guest

A friend bought something similar. I looked at it and all it was was a rare earth magnet with a plastic holding case. You could make one for pretty cheap if you got a local source for the magnets.

7. techyguru

techyguru Member

There is an assumption that this is what the police use. The police as well as other emergency vehicles use a device called an opticom that triggers the light, look at http://www.tcmfd.com/stuff/opticom.html it's a very interesting site and has some good information on that those flood lights on the stoplights mean.

The device that is referenced in the thread is basically a big magnet, as Gamuru said, normally a rare earth(extra powerful) inside a protective plastic case.

I know in Minnesota it is legal to run a red light if your on a motorcycle, after a reasonable amount of time, if the light is malfunctioning and not turning green.

8. kayaker

kayaker Member

Similar law in Wisconsin. Allows motorcycle to proceed at red light after 45 seconds if car actuated red light.

9. stereomind

stereomind Active Member

10. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

You can turn right, blow a Uy (u turn), turn right. all legal!

11. unaverageman

unaverageman Member

I would think a magnet that powerfull could cause issues with electronics over time. Could be more trouble than it is worth.

12. flash1259

flash1259 Member

Someone once posted a site about how stop lights work and what triggers them.

After reading the site I took a 3" X3" x2" magnet which is a powerful one i have had for about 15 years in the tool box. and put it on the under side of my center stand no where near electric. And I have yet had to sit for more than 1 min.

13. TheHound

TheHound Active Member

My XJ doesn't trip the light, that's why I ask.
    I work at night and there are three triggered lights on the way.
    All are left turns.
    Not much chance of someone coming up behind you.
    I now go straight at these intersections turning left at a non triggered intersection.
    This adds 4/10 of a mile onto my trip to work.
    Only one triggered light on the way home.
    So according to flash it does work.
    I will look into finding a local source for magnets and post back here.

14. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i go thru one every day, so tonight i tried the magnet trick
    took a magnet that was in a old hard drive, super strong, dropped in in my boot, got there put my foot down and 30 seconds later the light changed
    maybe luck maybe not, i'll keep trying it

15. TheHound

TheHound Active Member

Thanks Polock

16. Gamuru

Gamuru Guest

Most stop light triggers are a hoop of wire placed just below the road surface. The stop light computer sends a small signal down this wire, then monitors it for a spike. What causes the spike is usually something with sufficient ferrous mass (iron usually) to pass through the wire hoop. This creates an AC spike on the wire that the computer picks up on. A spike means there's a car parked waiting at the light.

Where we run into a problem is that depending on how we cross the hoop, how deep the hoop is, how high our bike is off the ground, etc., determines how big an AC spike we create. If the computer's filter is set real high, we'll never register. Adding a magnet to the bottom of our bike makes us look like a Ford Super Duty because of magnetic induction. When you pass a rare earth magnet through the hoop, because of its magnetic strength, you get a huge AC spike that will most certainly set off the computer.

It's all science! :)

17. weoxstan

weoxstan Member

What size of magnet are we talking about here? I would assume the stronger the better.

18. Gamuru

Gamuru Guest

These would be more than sufficient.

19. AnnieOakley

AnnieOakley New Member