1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

dirty gas tank

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by turtlejoint, Jul 7, 2008.

1. turtlejoint

turtlejoint Member

well, im nearly finished painting my gas tank. now that it has had a chance to dry out, i can hear all sorts of dried out junk bouncing around in the tank. what you would you recommend as the best method to get it out of there? the tank hasnt been remounted and the petcock and valve are still removed.

2. xyxj650

xyxj650 Member

You can try putting bb's in the tank and shaking it. That is one way or you can use a chemical treatment where you clean the tank and then put in a tank liner. The one I used on my tank was called a Kreem kit.

3. weoxstan

weoxstan Member

What kind of junk is in there? Rust or just dirt and varnish from years of use? I put some muratic acid and water mix in mine and shook it around for a few minutes. (had gloves and eye protection) Drained and rinsed several times. When I first drained off the acid water mix I got alot of crap coming out of the tank. After the acid it all rinsed out I dumped in rubbing alcohol and shook that around. Drained and dried out the inside with a hair drier. I started with just a fan as I was a little nervous about a hot hair drier and alcohol fumes mixing... Worked good for me.

4. wizard

wizard Active Member

why did you paint it before you cleaned it out, seems a bit arse backards.

5. chadwickm

chadwickm Member

You'll need to be VERY careful if you use any chemicals that you don't trash your new paint job! Depending on what's in there will determine your next course of action.

6. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

If it is just big rust flakes you can hold the tank with the petcock side down and try to blow compressed air in there to get it down to the hole. A shop vac duct taped over the hole will help pull the junk out.

How did the 750 motor fit on that frame. Any pics you could put on here for us to see?

7. turtlejoint

turtlejoint Member

1. it wasnt apparent that any particles were loose in the tank until i had already started painting.

2. i like doing stuff arse backwards

8. turtlejoint

turtlejoint Member

I bought the bike thinking it was a 650 only to find out it was a 750. the engine sits fine. the only quirk is that it shifts backwards. Ill put up some pics when im done with the detail work.

Plus i want to get it running smooth. i just rebuilt the carbs and it still runs like poop.

9. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

Take your time and fine tune. Carb sync and mixture screws are a pain but once you get them right its the greatest thing. Good Luck. We are here to help

10. turtlejoint

turtlejoint Member

I appreciate that. I really love the look of this bike. im proud to have it as my first. cant wait to get it runnijng right. just got my safety cert done! almost there!

11. SaltyCITYXJ550

SaltyCITYXJ550 Member

I used a kit from POR-15. You can look it up. They sell on Ebay for I think about $40. Comes with a cleaner, and etching solution, and also the epoxy type stuff. I love it. Works better than anything else I've ever used!!