1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Newbie questions

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by leoks98, Jul 5, 2008.

1. leoks98

leoks98 New Member

I just bought a 1983 Seca 900 that is a little rough, but not too bad. The person that sold it to me said that the turn signals used to work, but they do not work right now. He also said that the horn worked recently and intermittently, but it too does not work now. The headlight dimmer switch still works properly. Can anyone tell me if they have had this problem in the past or if the switch may be the problem.

I would also like to know if there are any basic things unique to the 900 Seca that should check and/or know. I would really like to get this bike up and running properly so that I have something safe to ride.

Thanks

2. Stamplicker

Stamplicker Member

3. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Get rid of the stock fuse panel and solder-in a 6-place fuse panel from Wirewerks.com.

See if the adjustment screws at the bottom of the anti-dives will turn.
    Don't break them.

Flush and bleed the entire brake system. The rear brake has dual bleed nipples. Bleed new fluid through the rear system by opening the inside nipple first.

The horns are a joke evenn if they do work.
    Install a air-horn set-up. Put the compressor in the tail section.

The Carbs on that bike are Race Carbs. Once they are cleaned and the diaphragm piston bores de-oxidized ... they are capable of being fine tuned to a razors edge of fine tuning.

If the front end dives when you brake ... replace the fork springs with Progressive Suspension Springs and add 2.5 cm's of preload.

4. leoks98

leoks98 New Member

Thanks for your information. I was going to throw a switch at the left side because I thought that may take care of the signal problem. I will try the fuses and/or panel first. I know that I will be back with more stupid and simple questions I'm sure.

5. leoks98

leoks98 New Member

Ok so I checked the fuses and they are good. I took the left side control switch apart and cleaned it thoroughly. After doing that the turn signals still do not work. I know that the bulbs are good cause I checked them in the tail lamp sockets and they lit up fine. Any other suggestions about my non-working turn signals? Anything would be appreciated.

6. AMCWood

AMCWood Member

Get a test light and follow the wire until you get a light.
    Thats the only thing I can think of right now.
    Good luck
    Andrew

7. unaverageman

unaverageman Member

Have any of the turn signal assembly's been changed? On my 82 Maxim 750 the right turn signals do not work because they switched the front turn signal assembly from a 2 wire (stock) to a 3 wire (third party).

8. chadwickm

chadwickm Member

The fuses may be fine, but I'll bet the block they are installed in is not. I would replace the block first with either a replacement block as Rick suggested or what I did was got some inline spade fuse holders from AutoZone. I soldered them in place and tucked them under the tank. BETTER THAN NEW! :D

9. Pacocase

Pacocase Member

On my Seca 650, I had trouble with all those parts after incorrectly reassembling the controls on the left side. Maybe the PO had it apart and pinched some wires. That could cause all of those symptoms. When you take it apart it will be clear that the wires must be routed around the shields in there or they'll get pinched and you'll get all kinds of weird behavior.